16.1247, All: Congratulations to Our Fund Drive Winners!

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Apr 19 20:14:35 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1247. Tue Apr 19 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1247, All: Congratulations to Our Fund Drive Winners!

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Neil Salmond <neil at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-Apr-2005
From: Neil Salmond < neil at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Congratulations to The Following Fund Drive Winners!

Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 16:12:17
From: Neil Salmond < neil at linguistlist.org >

Dear Subscribers,

The winners for the 2005 LINGUIST List Fund Drive contest have been
selected.  We would like to thank all participants, as well as, of
course, the donors who found our hijinks to be fundable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Limerick Contest
http://linguistlist.org/limericks.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This year's LINGUIST List Poet Laureate, as democratically elected by
all of our subscribers and advisors, is Veronika Koller of Lancaster
University whose beautiful writing should be an inspiration to us all.

       There are quite a few linguists whose fate
       was improved by LL's up-to-date
       job announcements and postings.
       Yet site maintenance and hosting
       need commitment and money - donate!

Congratulations to Veronika, who wins a one-year subscription to the
John Benjamins (http://benjamins.com) journal of her choice!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Puzzles & Cryptograms
 http://linguistlist.org/puzzles.html
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you to all of you who took part in the Fun Ddrive puzzles
competition for the chance to win various goodies from Cascadilla Press
(http://cascadilla.com/)!  The following winners were chosen at random
from among the correct entries:

- S.J. Hannahs (University of Newcastle Upon Tyne) solved Cryptogram 1 to win a
Research on Child Language Acquisition CD-ROM!

- Kirsten Mueller solved Cryptogram 2 to win a copy of Paul
Boucher's (Ed.) Many Morphologies!

- Esme Winter (Universität Tübingen) solved Cryptogram 3 to CD-ROMs from the
West Coast Conference on Formal Linguistics!

- Chris Johns (University of Newcastle upon Tyne) correctly decoded our
secret code, winning himself a beautiful classroom IPA chart!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Scavenger Hunt
  http://linguistlist.org/hunt.html

Congratulations to Lance Nathan of MIT!  He won $200 worth of books
generously donated by MIT Press (http://mitpress.mit.edu) by finding all
eight clues on the LINGUIST List site and unscrambling the IPA
characters to answer the following question:

What is LINGUIST List trying to fill?

Lance was smart enough to figure it out: It's our <<p^hIgibaeNk>>

Thanks again to all participants!

- The LINGUIST Crew