16.1251, Disc: Re: A Challenge to the Minimalist Community

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 20 04:22:13 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1251. Wed Apr 20 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1251, Disc: Re: A Challenge to the Minimalist Community

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Michael Appleby <michael at linguistlist.org>

Date: 13-Apr-2005
From: Martha McGinnis < mcginnis at ucalgary.ca >
Subject: Re: 16.1251156, A Challenge to the Minimalist Community

2)
Date: 13-Apr-2005
From: Peter Hallman < peter.hallman at mcgill.ca >

Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:19:50
From: Martha McGinnis < mcginnis at ucalgary.ca >
Subject: Re: 16.1156, A Challenge to the Minimalist Community

I was intrigued by Richard Sproat's challenge to the Minimalist
community.  As I understand it, the challenge calls for a renewed
connection between computational and theoretical linguistics.  The
idea strikes me as intriguing -- it could create intellectual excitement
and lead to new discoveries (not to mention more of those bright
computer-science students in our syntax classes, always a good
thing).

Currently, the goals of the two fields are quite distinct: generative
syntactic theory seeks to identify the universal structural principles
constraining human language, which often manifest themselves most
clearly in rather obscure and rarely-used aspects of language, like
multiple wh-questions or passives, as well as in child language errors,
selective impairments in aphasia, and so forth.  By contrast,
computational linguistics (at least the kind Richard Sproat is
describing) seeks to develop an engineering tool that can reliably and
efficiently parse a corpus into syntactic structures.  Not surprisingly,
practitioners in the two fields spend their time solving very different
kinds of problems.  Generally, I imagine, computational linguists have
enough to do without also internalizing the current theoretical
literature, and syntacticians have enough to do without also
internalizing the current computational literature.

Still, it seems as though there's a potential for convergence, if both
theoretical and computational linguistics could be brought to bear on a
computational model of the human language faculty, with all
its 'inefficiencies' and limitations, as well as its capacities. A promising
area for establishing an initial common ground would be sentence
processing.  For example, Ted Gibson's work on sentence processing
is framed within a computational approach; and Colin Phillips' 1996
MIT dissertation proposes a very intriguing union of syntactic theory
with sentence processing. This syntax-processing-computation nexus
seems like an ideal starting point for anyone seeking to implement a
computational model of language processing within a current
principles-and-parameters approach.

I do hope that Richard Sproat's challenge will result in a surge of
interest and activity in this area.  However, it seems to me that if such
an effort is to succeed, it will not be made by scholars in one field
submitting to the goals and assumptions of another.  It will require
genuine collaboration, with syntacticians, psycholinguists, and
computational linguists working together to develop collective goals
and assumptions, and committing their knowledge, time, and
resources to cross-disciplinary interaction and the training of graduate
students.  This kind of collaborative research is challenging and very
time-consuming, but it can pay big intellectual dividends.  I imagine
there are many linguists who would be happy to act as resources on
Minimalist theory, if someone is looking for collaborators.

Cheers,
Martha

Martha McGinnis, Assistant Professor
Linguistics Department, University of Calgary
2500 University Drive NW, Calgary AB T2N 1N4
phone: (403) 220-6119   fax: (403) 282-3880
http://www.ling.ucalgary.ca/~mcginnis/

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Discipline of Linguistics