16.1288, Disc: Re: A Challenge to the Minimalist Community

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Apr 22 13:56:02 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1288. Fri Apr 22 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1288, Disc: Re: A Challenge to the Minimalist Community

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Michael Appleby <michael at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Apr-2005
From: Carson Schutze < cschutze at ucla.edu >
Subject: Re: 16.1288251, Disc: A Challenge to the Minimalist Community

2)
Date: 22-Apr-2005
From: Chung-chieh Shan < ccshan at post.harvard.edu >
Subject: Re: 16.1288156, A Challenge to the Minimalist Community

3)
Date: 22-Apr-2005
From: Oren Sadeh-Leicht < oren.sadehleicht at let.uu.nl >
Subject: A Challenge to the Minimalist Community

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:54:25
From: Carson Schutze < cschutze at ucla.edu >

Following up on Peter's point

> So the P&P parser that Sproat and Lappin envision would accomplish
> much more than comparable statistical parsers, which makes the
> proposed accuracy metric a poor yardstick for comparison

In addition to capturing the distinction between learnable and unlearnable
languages, P&P has as an important goal capturing the distinction between
well-formed (grammatical) and ill-formed (ungrammatical) sentences
within a language. As I understand it, the challenge demands only correct
parsing of grammatical sentences, not correct rejection of ungrammatical
ones. This represents another case where the P&P system, by virtue of the
goals of the theory, is being subjected to greater demands than the
statistical parsers.

Comp Ling isn't my field either, but I gather it is a desideratum for at least
some statistical parsers that they be robust in the face of noisy input,
certainly during training but perhaps also during parsing, if they are to
avoid being completely thrown off by the occasional typo or unfamiliar
word. So it strikes me as an interesting empirical question whether such
robustness, if indeed the best statistical parsers have it, hinders them from
being able to detect ungrammaticality in general. Of course humans too
can "cope with" ill-formedness of various kinds (as Sproat and Lappin
note),  but they mostly know when they are having to do so, i.e., ill-
formedness is  still detected.

So, I would like to suggest a revised version of the challenge that
incorporates a second corpus consisting of ungrammatical sentences that
are to be identified as such. (Earlier P&P parsers such as Fong's were
designed to do this, but it's not obvious that this ability will easily scale up
with broader coverage, so I don't think this is a sucker's bet.) Furthermore,
since the computationalists got to choose the corpus of good sentences, it
would seem only fair that the theoreticians get to choose the corpus of bad
sentences :-)

P.S. The statistical parsers will still be getting off easy, in my view, because
the unfamiliar sentences they *are* supposed to parse as well-formed are
drawn from the same sample as the training set. The set of novel sentences
humans [and P&P parsers, we hope] parse as grammatical arguably
includes sentence types that do not occur in the language learner's input.

--

Carson T. Schutze            Department of Linguistics, UCLA
Web: http://www.linguistics.ucla.edu/people/cschutze

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Discipline of Linguistics