16.1325, Media: LATimes: 'A Twist...'; 'Villaraigosa's Spanish...'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 25 20:23:55 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1325. Mon Apr 25 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1325, Media: LATimes: 'A Twist...'; 'Villaraigosa's Spanish...'

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 24-Apr-2005
From: Karen Chung < karchung at ntu.edu.tw >
Subject: LAT: A Twist for an Ancient Tongue Trying to Survive

2)
Date: 24-Apr-2005
From: Karen Chung < karchung at ntu.edu.tw >
Subject: LAT: Villaraigosa's Spanish Is One of L.A.'s Languages

Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:20:44
From: Karen Chung < karchung at ntu.edu.tw >

The Los Angeles Times  April 24, 2005

A Twist for an Ancient Tongue Trying to Survive
By John Daniszewski

AN SPIDEAL, Ireland... As of March 28, all English versions of place
names were eliminated in the Gaeltacht, the pockets of Ireland where a
majority of people still speak Gaelic. English no longer has official
standing on signposts, legal documents or government maps. (For now, until
the sign-makers get cracking, officials are just covering up the English
names.)

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-gaelic24apr24.story

Free registration required to access article.

Karen Chung
http://ccms.ntu.edu.tw/~karchung/
http://lists.topica.com/lists/phonetics/