16.2350, Sum: Leonard Bloomfield as a Teacher

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 8 20:49:33 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2350. Mon Aug 08 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2350, Sum: Leonard Bloomfield as a Teacher

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Aug-2005
From: Marc Pierce < mpierc at umich.edu >
Subject: Leonard Bloomfield as a Teacher

Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 16:47:30
From: Marc Pierce < mpierc at umich.edu >

Regarding query: http://linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-2152.html#2

Dear Colleagues,

Some time ago I asked for information regarding Leonard Bloomfield's
reputation as a teacher.  I was referred to the following works:

Hall, Robert A. Jr.  1987.  Leonard Bloomfield: Appraisals of his life and
work.  Amsterdam: Benjamins.  [Also a special issue of Historiographia
Linguistica.]

Hockett, Charles F.  1970.  A Leonard Bloomfield anthology.   Bloomington:
Indiana University Press.

Kniffka, Hannes. 1994. Hearsay vs. Autoptic Evidence in Linguistics: Some
''Eastern'' and ''Western'' Perspectives and Perspectives of Perspectives.
The Study of `Indigenous Grammar(s) in Cross-Cultural Perspective. In: ZDMG
Bd.144, Heft 2, 1994, 345-376.

Joos, Martin.  1986.  Notes on the development of the Linguistic Society of
America 1924-1950.  Ithaca, NY: Spoken Language Services.

Other works that may have relevant information include the ''First Person
Singular'' volumes published by Benjamins, as well as material in the
archives of the various universities Bloomfield was connected to.

I thank Peter T. Daniels, Hannes Kniffka, and Michael Silverstein for
supplying this information.

Marc Pierce

Linguistic Field(s): History of Linguistics