16.2364, Jobs: Comp Ling: Jr Linguist, ScanSoft International

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 10 19:58:53 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2364. Wed Aug 10 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2364, Jobs: Comp Ling: Jr Linguist, ScanSoft International

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Aug-2005
From: Heike Hoffmeister < heike.hoffmeister at scansoft.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics/Portuguese: Junior Linguist, ScanSoft International, Gent, Belgium

Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:55:13
From: Heike Hoffmeister < heike.hoffmeister at scansoft.com >

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!

University or Organization: ScanSoft International
Department: R&D TTS
Job Rank: Junior Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Portuguese
Required Language(s): Portuguese (POR)

ScanSoft Inc. is a publicly traded company (Nasdaq: SSFT) with offices
around the world. With more than 1000 employees, we are the market-leading
supplier of speech and imaging solutions that are used to automate a wide
range of manual processes - increasing productivity, reducing costs and
improving customer service.

ScanSoft is currently looking for support from a:

Portuguese Junior Linguist

Key Responsibilities:
Your function will be to create a state-of-the-art voice for use with the
market-leading RealSpeak text-to-speech (TTS) engine. Some of your key
tasks will be:

- Research on SMS and design of an SMS pre-processor
- Design of text corpora for development and testing
- Creating and tuning the TTS voice
- Testing and productisation of the TTS voice

Your Profile:
We are looking for enthusiastic, dedicated people who want to learn about,
or increase their knowledge of, speech technology while making a real
contribution to a successful product. In terms of skills, we are seeking
people who can do most - but not necessarily all - of the following.
If you:

- fluently speak standard Portuguese
- have some experience in working with speech and/or linguistics or related
fields (we're especially interested if you've studied phonetics) either in
academia or in industry
- have some computational ability - no programming is required, but you
should be comfortable working with MS Windows
- if you know some awk or Perl, it would be an advantage, but is not required.

- and if you can dedicate 2-4 weeks to this project (working from home or in
our Belgium headquarter), then we would love to hear from you.

Contact:
Please send your resume via email to scansoft at agents.icims.com with the
subject line being:    Job ID: 1228

We are looking forward to receiving your application! If you have any
questions, please contact Heike Hoffmeister, Manager International
Recruitment at 0049-241-8871 103.

Address for Applications:

Heike Hoffmeister
Kackertstr. 10
Aachen 52072
Germany

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

Heike Hoffmeister
Email: heike.hoffmeister at scansoft.com
Phone: +49-241 8871 103