16.2405, Jobs: Anthropological Ling: Rank Open, Bay Street HR

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 18 20:13:27 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2405. Thu Aug 18 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2405, Jobs: Anthropological Ling: Rank Open, Bay Street HR

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Aug-2005
From: Seema Varma < svarma at baystreethr.com >
Subject: Anthropological Linguistics: Rank Open, Bay Street HR, Toronto, Canada

Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:10:51
From: Seema Varma < svarma at baystreethr.com >

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!

University or Organization: Bay Street HR
Job Rank: Rank Open
Specialty Areas: Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis
Required Language(s): English (ENG)

Position: Discourse Analyst
Company: In-Sync
Department: Applied Research
Reporting To: Director of Applied Research

In-Sync is a firm based in Toronto, Canada that specializes in helping our
clients create and sustain powerful, living brands that engage the mind,
heart and soul of their customers. Our know-how lies in delivering insight
that identifies where the most powerful connections between our clients'
brands and the needs and desires of their customers live. We are currently
in search of a Discourse Analyst to join our team.

Purpose of this position
- Primary:  to conduct discourse analysis in a market research and brand
strategy context, focusing particularly on the consumer goods and
healthcare industries
- Secondary:  to provide support to other research methods in the applied
research department, as needed

Major Responsibilities
- Conduct discourse analysis on a variety of data (focus group and
interview transcripts, etc.), including cleaning data, analyzing, and
identifying key insights
- Work closely with other members of a project team to communicate
insights, to integrate them into the overall project insights, and ideally,
to support other team members in uncovering the strategic implications of
the findings
- Write, and possibly present, presentations on the discourse analysis work
for internal and/or external clients
- Stay abreast of developments in the discipline, and develop In-Sync's
discourse analysis offering to reflect best thinking and practice
- Provide support to other offerings in the Applied Research Department as
needed, which could include participating in, or actually conducting,
ethnography and socio-cultural analyses
- Present to clients as required in the context of new business pitches,
work sessions or findings' presentations
- Possible to liaise with clients as required ensuring smooth management of
projects
- Participate in and/or organizes internal think tank sessions on project
needs. e. g. designing a study, building a guide, cracking a strategy

Qualifications
- Ideally Masters degree in a relevant social science discipline (such as
linguistics, psychology or anthropology)
- Experience and confidence in (and openness to) working with both
qualitative and quantitative approaches to discourse analysis
- Previous experience in a results-driven, team environment such as market
research or the police services
- Demonstrated passion, curiosity and instinct for applying discourse
analysis theory and method in a professional context (preferably market
research and branding)
- Willingness to learn about, and apply skills to, other applied research
offerings such as ethnography and anthropology
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to quickly build rapport with all
levels and types of people
- Strong oral and written communication skills:  able to articulate and
defend hypotheses, and to distill complex ideas into succinct thought
- Proactive, self-starter with strong work ethic and the ability to manage
multiple tasks and assignments
- Strong computer skills including Powerpoint, Word and Excel
- Strong team player
- Lateral thinker with ability to relate insights to client work

Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to:
Seema Varma
Email: svarma at baystreethr.com

Please include "Anthropologist" in the subject line of your email. We thank
all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an
interview will be contacted.

Address for Applications:

Seema Varma
Bay Street HR
80 Binscarth Road
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1Y4
Canada

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information

Varma
Email: svarma at baystreethr.com
Phone: 416-928-0040