16.2418, Qs: Text References; Native Speakers of English

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Aug 19 17:48:09 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2418. Fri Aug 19 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2418, Qs: Text References; Native Speakers of English

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-Aug-2005
From: Roderick McConchie < roderick.mcconchie at helsinki.fi >
Subject: Linguistic Principles in Text References

2)
Date: 17-Aug-2005
From: Ulrike Pado < ulrike at coli.uni-sb.de >
Subject: Rating Study: Native Speakers of English

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:46:35
From: Roderick McConchie < roderick.mcconchie at helsinki.fi >

I'm interested in people's opinions about the linguistic principles involved in
text references. I'm not seeking rehashes of what is to be found in style
manuals, which are often not based on clear notions of what English is like in
any case, but rather whether references should be regarded as complying with the
rules of anaphora in English or not. For instance, what do the brackets mean?
Should text references in English be strictly anaphoric? Is it acceptable to
split a noun phrase? and so on.

Consider the following examples:

1.
 'Smith's (1998) book covers this subject adequately.'
  or
 'Smith's book (1998) covers the subject adequately.'
  or
 'Smith's book covers this subject adequately (1998).'

2.
 'Smith's article raises precisely this question (2002: 34).'
  or
 'Smith's (2002: 34) article raises precisely this question.'
  or
 'Smith's article (2002) raises precisely this question (34).'
  or
 'Smith's 2002 article raises presisely this question (34).'

Thanks to all in advance!
Rod

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax