16.336, FYI: Summer Lang Courses;Computational Ling Fall School

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 3 13:34:21 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-336. Thu Feb 03 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.336, FYI: Summer Lang Courses;Computational Ling Fall School

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Feb-2005
From: Danko Sipka < Danko.Sipka at asu.edu >
Subject: Summer  Language Opportunities

2)
Date: 01-Feb-2005
From: Martin Hoelter < hoelter at linguistics.rub.de >
Subject: Computational Linguistics Fall School 3

Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 08:06:48
From: Danko Sipka < Danko.Sipka at asu.edu >

Dear discussion group members:

Drawing upon the interest of this discussion group in our target languages, we
are taking the liberty to inform you about the special language learning
opportunities for you and your students offered in the summer of 2005 by the
Arizona State University Critical Languages Institute (CLI). The CLI
(http://www.asu.edu/cli) offers annual summer language courses for less-
commonly taught languages, follow-up three-week immersion practicums at our
affiliated institutions in the target countries, and a semester or annual
study abroad program at our partner universities.

This summer we will offer introductory and intermediate and Armenian as well
as introductory Albanian, Bosnia(c/n)/Croatian/Serbian (BCS), Macedonian,
Polish, and Tatar at Arizona State University main campus (Tempe, AZ), May 31
to July 29, 2005, with summer practicums in August and study abroad
opportunities in the academic year 2005/6.

In the summer of 2006, we plan to add Uzbek as well as intermediate BCS and
Macedonian to the CLI language offerings.

CLI eight-credit-hour intensive courses come with a generous tuition waiver
that generates more than a thousand dollars in savings for each enrolling CLI
student. CLI students registering before May 1 pay only a modest $300
application fee (CLI fees are scheduled to increase to $400 on May 1). Both
the length and content of our courses enable FLAS, Fulbright, and other
fellowships support funds to be used by graduate students pursuing summer
language training in the CLI. A limited number of fellowships are available
for Armenian and Tatar. We have simplified the CLI application procedures.
To register, just go to:

http://www.asu.edu/clas/reesc/cli/preonreg05.htm

As a regular feature of its summer session, the CLI also features topical
workshops and one-on-one tutorials for those preparing grant proposals for
study and research abroad.  For dozens of CLI graduates, these tutorials have
yielded remarkable success in NSEP, Fulbright, Marshall, and other fellowship
competitions. Other CLI graduates have now joined the U.S. Foreign Service or
have taken international positions with major corporations.

The following features make CLI summer programming competitive with the finest
intensive summer language institutes nationally:

  1. Sound methodological background
  2. Utilization of the state-of-the art instructional technology
  3. Highly qualified language personnel
  4. Rich cultural content
  5. Rigorous and comprehensive oversight and quality control
  6. Strong ties with institutions in target countries

We have been using the Interagency Language Roundtable scale with our
introductory courses bringing the most talented CLI participants to level 1+
in reading with other skills remaining between 1 and 1+ and our intermediate
courses reaching level 2 in reading with other skills remaining between 1+ and
2.

Our Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian course features a strong on-line component
(http://www.public.asu.edu/~dsipka/syl1.htm), and its entirely on-line version
will be made available to our students as a refresher intended to alleviate
the problem of retention in the period between the introductory and the
intermediate course. Using the password, 'scr1', a sample lesson one can be
perused at:

http://www.asu.edu/clas/reesc/scr101

The full course is available at

http://cli.la.asu.edu/scr101

Student's ASU id number is required to log in. All CLI courses will follow suit
shortly and we will keep adding new hybrid components for our courses through
our server services page:

http://cli.la.asu.edu

CLI faculty are drawn from highly qualified linguists with years of teaching
experience and a strong record of publications in the field (as an example, see
http://www.public.asu.edu/~dsipka). Short information about our
instructors and their syllabi are available at:

http://www.asu.edu/clas/reesc/cli/ltrain.htm

In addition to the cultural content (complementing traditional grammar,
vocabulary, communicative skills, and linguistic norms) of CLI courses, CLI
summer sessions include the annual lecture series, movie showings, and social
events rich in cultural content. Take a look at some pictures of our classes
and social events (visiting ethnic restaurants) at:

http://www.public.asu.edu/~dsipka/sylpct.htm

Finally, we have established partnerships with key institutions in target
countries securing the most favorable summer practicum and study abroad
arrangements for our students.

If you have any further questions about our courses, please do not hesitate to
contact us at cli at asu.edu or by phone at 480-965-7706.

Sincerely,

Danko Sipka
Research Associate Professor and Acting Director
Critical Languages Institute (http://cli.la.asu.edu) /until May 15, 2005/
Professor of Slavic Languages
Department of Languages and Literatures /from August 16, 2005/
Arizona State University
E-mail: Danko.Sipka at asu.edu
Web: http://www.public.asu.edu/~dsipka

                     Language Acquisition