16.357, Qs: Ergative/Possession Marking; Software Translation

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Feb 5 01:53:53 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-357. Fri Feb 04 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.357, Qs: Ergative/Possession Marking; Software Translation

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Feb-2005
From: Kirill Shklovsky < kirill.shklovsky at reed.edu >
Subject: Identical Ergative and Possession Marking

2)
Date: 04-Feb-2005
From: Fabio Tabbo < tabbo at gpsdf.com >
Subject: Software Translation

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:46:32
From: Kirill Shklovsky < kirill.shklovsky at reed.edu >

Dear Linguists:

I am researching a phenomenon in Mayan languages whereby the ergative
cross-reference on the verb is identical to possessor cross-reference on a
possessed noun, and am looking for treatments of this kind of phenomena
(case OR agreement).  As far as I know this occurs outside of Mayan, in
language families such as Eskimo, some Caucassian languages, Tibeto-Burman
languages, perhaps Malagasy, depending on your view, etc.  Bittner and Hale
address this in their 1996 paper ''The Structural Determination Of Case And
Agreement'', but I am not aware of any others.  Can anybody suggest other
treatments of this phenomena, be they syntactic (in whatever framework),
typological, or whatever.  Thanks.

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology

Language Family(ies): Mayan