16.392, Qs: English Slang Words; Linguistic Creativity

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 9 16:30:33 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-392. Wed Feb 09 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.392, Qs: English Slang Words; Linguistic Creativity

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-Feb-2005
From: Hilary Sachs < hilsachs at verizon.net >
Subject: Slang Words in Standard English

2)
Date: 08-Feb-2005
From: Francisco Gomes de Matos < fcgm at hotlink.com.br >
Subject: Annotated bibliography on Linguistic Creativity

Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:28:01
From: Hilary Sachs < hilsachs at verizon.net >

Does anyone know of any examples of slang, or otherwise colorful words that
supplanted older, standard words in English?

I'm thinking of the Romance phenomenon, where some Latin words were
replaced by Vulgar Latin slang words in the Romance languages, such as or,
oris 'mouth' (standard Latin), which fell out of use and was replaced by
bucca 'cheeks puffed out from eating'. (French bouche, Sp. boca, etc.)

I can't find any English examples. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Hilary Sachs

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Historical Linguistics