16.415, Qs: Tianjin Tone Sandhi; 'to be' Grammaticalization

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 10 21:43:12 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-415. Thu Feb 10 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.415, Qs: Tianjin Tone Sandhi; 'to be' Grammaticalization

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Feb-2005
From: Te-hsin Liu < tehsinl at yahoo.com.tw >
Subject: Tone Sandhi in Tianjin

2)
Date: 10-Feb-2005
From: F.K. Agama < agamfo at yahoo.com >
Subject: Grammaticization with Respect to the Verb

Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 16:41:27
From: Te-hsin Liu < tehsinl at yahoo.com.tw >

Dear Linguists:

I am a graduate student in Linguistics at Paris VIII University, and I have
some questions about tone sandhi in Tianjin (a dialect of Mandarin).

According to data of Matthew Chen (1985, 2000),  Tianjin has four  tones on
monosyllables: H, L, LH and HL. When two tones are juxtposed, the following
changes take place.

(1). LH.LH->H.LH
(2). HL.HL->L.HL
(3). L.L.->LH.L
(4). HL.L->L

Yip (1989) suggests that H is the unmarked tone since it plays no part at
all in these alternations. Here are the questions about this dialect:

We get the output H.LH for (1), after a processus of sandhi. This result
would be homophonic with the existing sequence H.LH (underlying form). Are
speakers of Tianjin confused with these two phrases? The same question goes
to the output L.HL of (2): are speakers of this dialect confused with this
phrase with the existing sequence L.HL?

Another question, what are outputs of the sequences B.BH and HB.B? Do they
undergo OCP effects, and become respectively B.H and H.B?

Thank you for your intellectual insights in advance!

Te-hsin Liu
Paris VIII University

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology