16.536, Confs: Text/Corpus Ling/Siena, Italy

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 23 16:48:12 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-536. Wed Feb 23 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.536, Confs: Text/Corpus Ling/Siena, Italy

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Andrea Berez <andrea at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Feb-2005
From: John Sinclair < jms at twc.it >
Subject: Dial-A-Corpus ? Compiling Corpora from the Web

Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:46:22
From: John Sinclair < jms at twc.it >

Dial-A-Corpus -  Compiling Corpora from the Web
Short Title: DIAL-A-CORPUS

Date: 05-Jun-2029 - 07-Feb-2005
Location: Siena, Tuscany, Italy
Contact: John Sinclair
Contact Email: jms at twc.it
Meeting URL: http://www.twc.it

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics

Meeting Description:

This is an intensive three-day Guided Seminar where senior international figures
in corpus and computational linguistics will present their own positions and
lead the discussions.  The topic is the potential of the World Wide Web as a
source of a wide range of corpora, the problems involved in finding, evaluating
and classifying web documents, downloading and homogenising them and making them
accessible to software tools.  The seminar is relevant to anyone who wishes to
make a corpus, large   or small.

The venue is an ancient ex-monastery near Siena, and the fees are unchanged from
previous years.

For details, see www.twc.it   For registration contact me, John Sinclair,
jms at twc.it

This is an intensive three-day Guided Seminar; not quite a Course, because the
topic is more focused, and we expect participants to have a particular interest
in it and some willingness to join in the discussions. It is a bit more than a
seminar, though, because we have engaged senior international figures in corpus
and computational linguistics to present their own positions and lead the
discussions.

The topic is the potential of the World Wide Web as a source of a wide range of
corpora, the problems involved in finding, evaluating and classifying web
documents, downloading and homogenising them and making them accessible to
software tools. To anyone involved in corpus design and construction, this is a
timely and important issue, and optimism must be tempered with realism.  The
team of Khurshid Ahmad, Lou Burnard, Margaret Rogers, John Sinclair, Elena
Tognini Bonelli and Yorick Wilks will offer a broad range of approaches to this
topic.

TWC events are back in Tuscany after a year of being hosted abroad, and take
place in a new and beautiful venue near Siena.  We are pleased to say that we
are able to offer this enhanced location at no extra cost - our fees have been
unchanged for several years now.

For details, see www.twc.it   For registration contact me, John Sinclair,
jms at twc.it  For the announcement of a Course that immediately precedes this
Guided Seminar see separate notice.  Participants who register for both events
will be offered a discount on the total fee.

John Sinclair
President, The Tuscan Word Centre