16.212, Confs: Discourse Analysis/Psycholing/Nijmegen,Netherlands

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 24 02:00:45 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-212. Sun Jan 23 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.212, Confs: Discourse Analysis/Psycholing/Nijmegen,Netherlands

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Amy Wronkowicz <amy at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Jan-2005
From: Rian Zondervan < Rian.Zondervan at mpi.nl >
Subject: One-day MPI Workshop on the Intersection Between a Study of Prosody and Interaction

Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:54:46
From: Rian Zondervan < Rian.Zondervan at mpi.nl >

One-day MPI Workshop on the Intersection Between a Study of Prosody and Interaction

Date: 04-Feb-2005 - 04-Feb-2005
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Contact: Tanya Stivers
Contact Email: Tanya.Stivers at mpi.nl
Meeting URL: http://www.mpi.nl/world/events/events.html

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Phonetics;
Phonology; Psycholinguistics; Syntax

Meeting Description:

A One-day MPI Workshop on the Intersection Between a Study of Prosody and
Interaction

This workshop was designed to facilitate cooperation between
interactionists (whether from a linguistics, sociology, or communication
background) and (psycho)linguists who focus on prosody.  In particular, in
the course of delivering papers and group discussion, we hope that we will
depart with a better understanding of the following issues:

1)      What do we know about the functions of prosody in language use?
2)      Which part of the linguistic system (from phonetic to interactional
discourse level) is influenced or modulated by prosody?
3)      What methodological tools exist for systematically investigating this?
4)      What issues exist in using these tools given that some of what the
tools measure cannot be detected or will be heard differently by the human ear?

In short, what can interactionists learn about studying prosody, and what
can linguists who study prosody learn about studying interaction?

Invited Speakers:

Johanneke Caspers, University of Leiden
Taehong Cho, Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen
Elizabeth Couper-Kuhlen, University of Potsdam
John Local, University of York
Amy J. Schafer,  University of Hawaii

We appologize for this short notice, but the workshop is open to everybody.

The workshop organizing committee:
Tanya Stivers (Tanya.Stivers at mpi.nl)
Taehong Cho (Taehong.Cho at mpi.nl)
Aoju Chen (Aoju.Chen at mpi.nl)

Date and Time: 4-FEB-2005, 8:45-18:00
Place: Conference room
       Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen, The Netherlands

The abstracts of the talks and informations about the location and the
transporation are availble at: http://www.mpi.nl/world/prosody_ws/index.html

8.45-9.00
Welcome and Opening Comments

9.00-10.20
Taehong Cho, Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen.
Title: Fine-grained phonetic signatures of prosodic structure and their
psychological reality reflected in speech comprehension

10.20-10.40 Break

10.40-12.00
Amy J. Schafer,  University of Hawaii.
Title: Effects of repetition and contrastive focus on prosodic indications
of syntactic structure

12.00-13.00 Lunch

13.00-14.20
Johanneke Caspers, University of Leiden.
Title: Speech melody and the turn-taking system, Investigating Dutch
task-oriented dialogues.

14.20-14.40 Break

14.40-16.00
John Local, University of York.
Title: On the deployment and interplay of prosodic and non-prosodic
resources in talk-in-interaction

16.00-16.20 Break

16.20-17.40
Elizabeth Couper-Kuhlen, University of Potsdam.
Title: Interactional phonology: Taking stock

17.40-18.00 General Discussion

18.30 Dinner (If you would like to attend, please contact Tanya Stivers
prior to February 1 (Tanya.Stivers at mpi.nl)