16.265, Jobs: English/Applied Linguistics: Teachers, China

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 27 15:49:07 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-265. Thu Jan 27 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.265, Jobs: English/Applied Linguistics: Teachers, China

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 27-Jan-2005
From: matthew bloomfield < mcb at saybot.com >
Subject: English & Applied Linguistics: Remote English Teachers, Saybot LLC China, China

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:41:26
From: matthew bloomfield < mcb at saybot.com >

University or Organization: Saybot LLC China
Department: English Language Programs
Job Rank: Remote English Teachers
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics
Required Language: English (ENG)

Saybot is a young company located in Shanghai and founded by Chinese and
American CEO and investors. Its mission is to revolutionize the way Chinese
learners improve their spoken English abilities, with the use of fun and
innovative devices and lesson approaches. Saybot is currently interviewing
candidates for positions as Remote English Teachers in preparation for the
company's expected growth in 2005.

Saybot is currently collecting a pool of talented native English-speaking
teachers to work with our future Chinese customers on a remote basis; either
online, by teleconferencing, Skype or other available media. Each teacher will
work with perhaps 10-15 students who have selected him/her from Saybot's teacher
database. The remote teacher will work with the students on their specific
questions and needs in spoken English, including pronunciation, intonation,
syllable and word stress, conversation fluency, appropriateness, strategies etc.
The schedule will be agreed upon by teacher and students, approximately 2-5
hours per week, and keeping in mind the time differences between Asia and
America, Europe etc. This will be an additional premium service available to
Saybot customers, and teachers will be paid an hourly fee based on skill,
experience and number of students.

While we do not require a degree in teaching English as a Second Language (ESL),
experience in doing so--particularly with Chinese learners--is a distinct
advantage. Of course, spoken Mandarin is a plus, but not a prerequisite. Some
training, materials and teaching suggestions will be provided, but remote
teachers will be encouraged to also develop their own engaging content based on
student needs. Teachers will of course need an up-to-date and reliable computer
with rapid and excellent Internet connection for their international online
communications with students.

Interested candidates should send a resume including email contact address and
phone number, along with a recent photo, demographic data (city, state, country
etc.) and brief personal profile including outside interests for our database
profile; and a maximum one-page description of previous work teaching English to
foreign learners, to the address below or to info at saybot.com  ('remote english
teachers'  on Subject Line).  Saybot will contact those teachers with whom we
would like to interview further. Please be advised that the remote teacher
positions are not for immediate hire, but rather for gathering candidates now
for work to start in mid-2005.

Address for Applications:

Human Resources Remote English Teachers
Saybot LLC China
No. 100 YinXiao Rd. Bldg.17 Rm.101
Pudong, Shanghai 201204
China

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

English Director Matthew Bloomfield
Email: mcb at saybot.com
Phone: (0086)21-50592467
Website: http://www.saybot.com

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!