16.275, Jobs: English/Applied Ling: Curriculum Developer, China

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 28 15:41:18 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-275. Fri Jan 28 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.275, Jobs: English/Applied Ling: Curriculum Developer, China

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 28-Jan-2005
From: Matthew Bloomfield < mcb at saybot.com >
Subject: Applied Ling/Curriculum Development: Curriculum Developer, Saybot LLC, China

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:33:45
From: Matthew Bloomfield < mcb at saybot.com >

University or Organization: Saybot LLC
Department: English Programs
Job Rank: Curriculum Developer (remote or local)
Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Curriculum Development
Required Language: English (ENG)

Saybot is a young company located in Shanghai and founded by Chinese and
American CEO and investors. Its mission is to revolutionize the way Chinese
learners improve their spoken English abilities. Saybot is currently
interviewing candidates for positions as Curriculum Developers in preparation
for the company's expected growth in 2005.

Saybot is currently collecting a pool of talented native and near-native
English-speaking Curriculum Developers to work directly with our Director of
English Programs to produce innovative, interactive lessons aimed at
revolutionizing the way our customers improve their spoken English abilities.
Many of our lessons are targeted specifically to address the particular problems
Chinese learners face with their spoken English in areas including
pronunciation, intonation, syllable and word stress, conversation fluency and
strategies, etc. Each developer will also likely be creating lessons for a
specific targeted market population, such as IT executives, tourism/travel
personnel, etc., so your expertise in certain domains will be of particular
benefit to Saybot. Curriculum Developers do not necessarily need to be present
in Shanghai, but can develop and submit their lessons remotely, with some
guidance and guidelines provided as to lesson format etc.  Lessons, in general,
will be short (5-10 minutes when done interactively with the Saybot computer
narrator), and aimed at improving a specific problem or providing a specific
stream of information of use to the user's spoken English. The primary target
market will largely be those learners who have already attained some competency
in English but continue to produce certain errors and/or need to know how to
communicate effectively in English in certain social or professional contexts.

Curriculum Developers will be paid by contract, per completed lesson or series
of lessons, to be negotiated later at competitive rates. Should the English
Director deem that changes need to be made to submitted lessons, it is the
responsibility of the Curriculum Developer to make those changes until the
lesson is acceptable.

Desired Qualifications:
An advanced degree in teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) or related
area is desirable, but exceptions can be made in the case of candidates with
equivalent experience. Naturally, teaching experience--particularly with Chinese
learners--is a distinct advantage, and Mandarin is a plus, but not a
prerequisite. Of course, Curriculum Developers will need an up-to-date and
reliable computer with rapid and excellent Internet connection for their online
communications and submissions to Saybot.  Some occasional early morning or late
night online communications may be required, given the time differences between
Shanghai and N. America and Europe, etc.

Interested candidates should send a resume including email contact address and
phone number, along with a brief personal profile including outside interests,
and a maximum three-page previous original lesson or lesson excerpt you've
created, which you feel would be most applicable to the type of lessons Saybot
will be asking you to develop, to the address below or to info at saybot.com
('Curriculum Developers' on Subject Line).   Saybot will inform those developers
with whom we would like to discuss further, but all submissions will be
acknowledged. Please be advised that the positions are not for immediate
starting date, but for interviewing now for assignments to start near the end of
the first quarter of 2005.

Address for Applications:

Matthew Bloomfield
Curriculum Developers
Saybot LLC China
No. 100, YinXiao Rd. Bldg.17 Rm.101
Pudong, Shanghai  201204
China

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

Matthew Bloomfield
Email: mcb at saybot.com
Phone: (0086)021-5059 2467
Website: http://www.saybot.com

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!