16.288, Sum: Use of 'What it is is'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jan 31 17:12:59 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-288. Mon Jan 31 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.288, Sum: Use of 'What it is is'

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 29-Jan-2005
From: Emma Pavey < elpavey1 at hotmail.com >
Subject: Use of 'What it is is'

Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 12:07:23
From: Emma Pavey < elpavey1 at hotmail.com >

Regarding query: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-80.html

Thanks for the messages in response to this posting (LINGUIST List:
Vol-16-80. Subject: 16.80) from William Rapaport, Alex Boulton, Maryam
Bakht-Rofheart, Joybrato Mukherjee, Mary Ellen Ryder, Patrick McLoughlin,
and finally Karen Stanley who suggested the single copula form 'What it is,
I changed my medication' may be related to "You know what it is?..I changed
my migraine medication." I agree there may be a familial relationship here,
although I think the two have slightly different functions.

Since the remaining messages largely concerned the "double copula"
constructions in general I refer readers to previous discussions on this
broader topic which also contain useful bibliographies of relevant literature:

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-427. Mon Feb 2 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875. Subject:
15.427, Sum: English Double Copula

http://linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-427.html

LINGUIST List:  Vol-15-518. Sun Feb 8 2004. ISSN: 1068-4875. Subject:
15.518, Disc: New: ''double be'' and other non-standard BEs

http://linguistlist.org/issues/15/15-518.html

Thanks to those who responded,
Emma Pavey

Dr Emma Pavey