16.2088, Qs: Tukano Color Terms; Mystery Language Song

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 6 17:17:35 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2088. Wed Jul 06 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2088, Qs: Tukano Color Terms; Mystery Language Song

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 06-Jul-2005
From: Sean Day < sean.day at tridenttech.edu >
Subject: Tukano Color Terms

2)
Date: 04-Jul-2005
From: Salvatore Attardo < sattardo at neo.rr.com >
Subject: Mystery Language Song

Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 13:14:21
From: Sean Day < sean.day at tridenttech.edu >

I am wondering whether, in the various Tukano languages of South
America, there is an irreducible base color term for the category
of 'blue'.  In particular, I am interested in the Desana language and
other languages of the Vaupes region.  From various books and
articles by Reichel-Dolmatoff, I have seen terms
for 'black', 'white', 'red', 'green', and 'yellow', but not 'blue', yet 'blue' is
basic to the color symbolism of Desana and other Tukano
cosmologies.

Sean A. Day, Ph.D.

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics