16.2110, FYI: UNESCO Register:Good Practices, Lang Preservation

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jul 8 12:22:41 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2110. Fri Jul 08 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2110, FYI: UNESCO Register:Good Practices, Lang Preservation

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-Jul-2005
From: Barbara Soukup < ling.diversity at unesco.org >

Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 08:20:16
From: Barbara Soukup < ling.diversity at unesco.org >

Dear Linguists,

Please allow me to bring to your attention a newly-issued Call for
Submissions to a database project that has been launched by UNESCO's
Endangered Languages Programme: the 'Register of Good Practices in Language
Preservation' (www.unesco.org/culture/endangeredlanguages/goodpractices)
The purpose of this Register is to collect experience reports concerning
any kind of language preservation effort, from speaker communities,
governmental and non-governmental organisations, academic experts, etc. Our
goal is to provide a free online practice-based source of information as an
aid and encouragement for future language preservation projects.

To this end, I would like to solicit your support in the following ways:

(1) If you are (or have been) involved in a language preservation project,
please consider submitting to our Register, to share your knowledge and
experience gained with other current and future project agents.

(2) Please disseminate the Register's URL
(www.unesco.org/culture/endangeredlanguages/goodpractices) and our call
for submissions as widely as possible, using your relevant networks and
contacts, so that we can reach any persons and organisations who may be
interested in submitting.

(3) If you have administrative access to any websites related to language
preservation, please consider setting up links to our Register website
(www.unesco.org/culture/endangeredlanguages/goodpractices)

Thank you very much for your support!
Best regards,
Barbara Soukup
UNESCO Endangered Languages Progamme
ling.diversity at unesco.org

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Applied Linguistics
                     General Linguistics
                     Sociolinguistics