16.2119, Jobs: Phonology: Asst. Professor, University of Alberta

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jul 10 17:27:18 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2119. Sun Jul 10 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2119, Jobs: Phonology: Asst. Professor, University of Alberta

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Jul-2005
From: Debra Elliot < debra.elliot at ualberta.ca >
Subject: Phonology: Assistant Professor, University of Alberta, Edmonton, CA

Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:22:46
From: Debra Elliot < debra.elliot at ualberta.ca >

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!

University or Organization: University of Alberta
Department: Linguistics
Job Rank: Assistant Professor
Specialty Areas: Phonology

The Department of Linguistics in the Faculty of Arts at the University of
Alberta invites applications for a tenure track position as Assistant
Professor. To fill this position, we are looking for a candidate in
Phonology. We are particularly interested in candidates with expertise in
one (preferably more) of following areas: laboratory phonology,
phonetically grounded phonology, optimality theory, and typology. Qualified
candidates should hold a PhD and demonstrate outstanding potential for a
research career. Responsibilities will include teaching in both
undergraduate and graduate programs, and maintaining an active research
program.

The Department of Linguistics has a strong commitment to empirical and
experimental approaches to linguistic research. Nine full-time, continuing
faculty members are currently pursuing research projects in experimental
phonetics, phonology, syntax and semantics of Amerindian languages,
bilingual language acquisition and language impairment, cognitive
linguistics, corpus linguistics, and the mental lexicon. More information
about the Department can be found at www.uofaweb.ualberta.ca/linguistics/.

Established in 1908 as a board-governed, public institution, the University
of Alberta has earned the reputation of being one of the best universities
in Canada based on our strengths in teaching, research, and services. The
University of Alberta serves over 35,000 students in more than 200
undergraduate programs and 170 graduate programs (www.ualberta.ca/). The
Faculty of Arts is the oldest and most diverse faculty on campus, and one
of the largest research and teaching centres in western Canada
(www.arts.ualberta.ca). The University's main campus is located in
Edmonton, the vibrant, cosmopolitan capital of the province of Alberta. The
Edmonton metropolitan area is the sixth largest in the country with a
population of approximately one million (www.edmonton.ca). Edmonton is
located only a few hours drive from Banff and Jasper National Parks, which
offer skiing in winter and excellent hiking and sightseeing in summer.

Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applicants
should send curriculum vitae, a letter describing their areas of research
interest, samples of publications, and, if available, a teaching dossier
and evaluations of teaching performance to the address below.

Applicants must also arrange for three letters of reference to be sent to
the Chair. Closing Date: November 30 2005. Applications received after that
may be considered if the position is not filled. The effective date of
employment will be July 1, 2006.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and
permanent residents will be given priority.  If suitable Canadian citizens
or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will be considered.

The University of Alberta hires on the basis of merit.  We are committed to
the principle of equity in employment. We welcome diversity and encourage
applications from all qualified women and men, including persons with
disabilities, members of visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.

Address for Applications:

Dr John Newman, Chair
Department of Linguistics
University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta T6J 2E7
Canada

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

Dr John Newman
Email: john.newman at ualberta.ca
Phone: 780 492 3434