16.2152, Qs: Hiberno-English Speakers; Leonard Bloomfield

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 13 17:56:23 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2152. Wed Jul 13 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2152, Qs: Hiberno-English Speakers; Leonard Bloomfield

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 13-Jul-2005
From: Susagna Tubau < stubau at hotmail.com >
Subject: A Call for Hiberno-English Speakers

2)
Date: 11-Jul-2005
From: Marc Pierce < mpierc at umich.edu >
Subject: Leonard Bloomfield as a Teacher

Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:53:47
From: Susagna Tubau < stubau at hotmail.com >

Hi to everyone,

I'm a Ph.D. student currently working on negative concord in Hiberno-English,
African-American English and Catalan. While reading about the topic, I came
across the following Hiberno-English construction:

(1) Any country couldn't stand that   (Filppula 1999) Gloss: 'No country could
stand that'.

In order to study this kind of construction in depth I need a bigger sample of
data. I have already taken data from Filppula's (1986, 1999) corpus and from
Harris (1984), but the number of examples I have collected is still very small.
I would really appreciate any piece of information on any other sources or
corpora where I could search for more sentences such as the one in (1).

In addition, I would also need some help in obtaining grammatical judgements
FROM SPEAKERS OF HIBERNO-ENGLISH (also known as Anglo-Irish and Irish English)
on the following sentence:

(2) Any person said that sex is no sin.

The relevant questions are: Is it grammatical to Hiberno-English speakers?

If the answer is yes, then, is the meaning equivalent to "Nobody said that sex
is a sin"?

Thank you very much in advance. I will really appreciate your help!

Susagna Tubau
Assistant teacher and Ph.D. student
Departament de Filologia Anglesa i de Germanística
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona

Linguistic Field(s): Language Description
                     Syntax