16.2173, Jobs: Comp Ling: Lexicographer, Applied Linguistics, LLC

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 16 14:58:49 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2173. Sat Jul 16 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2173, Jobs: Comp Ling: Lexicographer, Applied Linguistics, LLC

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 15-Jul-2005
From: d'Armond Speers < dspeers at applinguistics.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Lexicographer, Applied Linguistics, LLC, Palm Harbor, USA

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 10:55:46
From: d'Armond Speers < dspeers at applinguistics.com >

University or Organization: Applied Linguistics, LLC
Job Rank: Lexicographer
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Lexicography; Text/Corpus
Linguistics; Taxonomies; English Language

Applied Linguistics is looking for a lexicographer to manage our taxonomic
thesaurus.

Position Summary:
The lexicographer will have primary responsibility for maintaining our
taxonomic thesaurus.  Entries in the thesaurus are organized
hierarchically, and at the leaf node each entry contains lexical and
grammatical data.  The lexicographer will help identify and validate
required changes, coordinate thesaurus development projects, and work with
the development staff on database management tasks.

Responsibilities:
- Provide ongoing thesaurus development, maintenance and management
- Identify terminology for thesaurus expansion
- Coordinate thesaurus development projects with other linguists
- Participate in software testing and validation, as it relates to the
thesaurus
- Validate thesaurus changes against baseline tests
- Participate in developing design enhancements to the thesaurus
- Provide input on future applications that utilize the thesaurus

Qualifications
- (Advanced) degree in (computational) linguistics
- Fluency in English
- Preferred: Experience in lexicography
- Preferred: Experience with taxonomies / thesauri
- Computer skills, experience with SQL & relational databases a plus
- Experience with text / corpus linguistics / information retrieval a plus

Start Date: September, 2005

Please submit cv/resume via e-mail to:
dspeers at applinguistics.com

About Applied Linguistics, LLC
Applied Linguistics is a small, fast-moving, well-financed 18-month old
NLP-IR start-up located on the sunny Gold Coast of West Central Florida.

Address for Applications:

Dr. d'Armond Speers
33920 US Highway 9 N
Suite 269
Palm Harbor, FL 34684
United States of America

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

d'Armond Speers
Email: dspeers at applinguistics.com
Phone: 727-789-5339 x29