16.2174, Media: Chinese dialects/languages

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 16 23:57:42 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2174. Sat Jul 16 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2174, Media: Chinese dialects/languages

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-Jul-2005
From: Mike Maxwell < maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu >
Subject: Chinese dialects/ languages

Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:51:58
From: Mike Maxwell < maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu >

Here is a fascinating (well, to me...) article on the issue of how many
dialects or languages the Chinese 'language' consists of:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/10/international/asia/10chinese.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1121093436-t66J0waCmwCy+4A/U6ua/Q

(That URL is very long; if it wraps in your email, you may need to paste it
in piecemeal...)

I was alerted to this article by a linguistic news service that may be of
general interest to readers of this list:

http://www.inttranews.net

(Note the double t.)  It was announced in LL 16.1792, but you may have
missed it.

The service has both free and paid versions; I have subscribed to the free
version, and get a single email each weekday, with on the order of ten or
twenty links to articles (via an inttranews web page).  Topics vary from
news about translation agencies to endangered languages (not much on
theoretical syntax, though :-)).  The website says it's a Beta.
--
Mike Maxwell
Linguistic Data Consortium
maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu