16.2215, Qs: Desiderata for a Database; Most Conservative Lang

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 20 14:17:43 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2215. Wed Jul 20 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2215, Qs: Desiderata for a Database; Most Conservative Lang

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Jul-2005
From: Christina Jacovides < czljacovides at yahoo.com >
Subject: Desiderata for a Linguistic Database

2)
Date: 19-Jul-2005
From: Pete Unseth < Pete_Unseth at gial.edu >
Subject: Most Conservative Language

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:15:04
From: Christina Jacovides < czljacovides at yahoo.com >

The Computer Science Department at Wayne State University is working with
LINGUIST to create a linguistic database that would combine several web-based
language resources (sites containing language documentation in the form of
corpora, annotated texts, audio/visual information, etc.) into a single,
searchable, and browsable database. The hope is to organize the data in such a
way that the database can return intelligent results to a wide range of queries.
In order to make this database useful to linguists, though, the computer
scientists designing the database need to have a sense of what linguists might
require from such a database - what kinds of queries would they be making, what
types of questions are important?

They are interested in coming up with a broad list of sample questions. The list
should include questions that are similar to, but slightly more general than,
those published in the queries pages of the LINGUIST website.

I would be very grateful if you could take a few minutes to share any
suggestions you may have for possible questions, any websites you know of that
might be useful, any ideas you have that might help non-linguists understand a
little more about what exactly linguists are looking for in their research and
in language documentation.

Thanks very much,
Christina Jacovides
WSU (Technician)

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics