16.1763, Diss: Phonetics: Amelot: 'An Aerodynamic ...'

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jun 5 18:52:16 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1763. Sun Jun 05 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1763, Diss: Phonetics: Amelot: 'An Aerodynamic ...'

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Takako Matsui <tako at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Jun-2005
From: Angelique Amelot < angelique.amelot at univ-paris3.fr >
Subject: An Aerodynamic, Fiberscopic, Acoustic and Perceptive Study of the Nasal Vowels of French

Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 14:51:01
From: Angelique Amelot < angelique.amelot at univ-paris3.fr >

Institution: University of Paris 3, Sorbonne Nouvelle
Program: Laboratoire de Phonétique et de Phonologie
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2004

Author: Angelique Amelot

Dissertation Title: An Aerodynamic, Fiberscopic, Acoustic and Perceptive Study
of the Nasal Vowels of French

Dissertation URL:  http://www.cavi.univ-paris3.fr/ilpga/ED/student/staa/

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics

Subject Language(s): French (FRN)

Dissertation Director(s):
Jacqueline Vaissiere

Dissertation Abstract:

Our research deals with an aerodynamic, fiberscopic, acoustic and
perceptive study of the nasal vowels of French. The aerodynamic data show
that the carryover of the nasal airflow (NAF) is more important than the
anticipation. In spontaneous speech, we find less delay than in read
speech. With the fiberscopic results, we confirm that the movements of the
velum start before the onset of the vowel. In spontaneous speech, we found
few items with a complete closure of velum before the offset of the vowel.
The aerodynamic data together with the fiberscopic data show that there is
no timing between the opening of the velopharyngeal port and the beginning
of NAF. The acoustic data show a correlation between the acoustic signal
and the beginning of NAF for two vowels ([2E] and [2A]). We do not find a
correlation between the beginning of velar movements and the acoustic
signal. The results of perception tests suggest that NAF is not the
primordial feature to discriminate the nasal vowel.