16.1779, Disc: Re: Lang Acquisition: Baby Signing

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 6 18:54:12 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1779. Mon Jun 06 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1779, Disc: Re: Lang Acquisition: Baby Signing

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Michael Appleby <michael at linguistlist.org>

Date: 06-Jun-2005
From: Derek Irwin < irwind at yorku.ca >
Subject: Re: Lang Acquisition: Baby Signing

2)
Date: 06-Jun-2005
From: Anthea Fraser Gupta < A.F.Gupta at leeds.ac.uk >
Subject: Re: Disc: New: Lang Acquisition: Baby Signing

3)
Date: 06-Jun-2005
From: Will Salmon < william.salmon at yale.edu >
Subject: Re: Media: BBC: Baby Signing/Mark Jones

Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:48:50
From: Derek Irwin < irwind at yorku.ca >

Dear Mark and all,

I have not been able to see the BBC special, but on this side of the
pond Baby Signs are also quite a phenomenon.  There are many different
points of view on the nature of Baby Signs in infant development, but
none of them so far (that I have seen, and I would appreciate hearing
about it if anyone has seen such a study) has actually expressed a
concern over the entire concept being detrimental to language
development.  The "business" (and it is big business) of Baby Signs
has a number of misconceptions tied to it -- spurious claims of
raising potential IQs of children being lead among these -- but in my
experience with a number of children who have used sign-based
communication systems, it enables them to communicate certain
functions earlier than an insistence on purely verbal language would:
Meier and Newport (1990) argue that "instead of describing sign
language as 'advantaged', we would be more accurate if we labeled
speech as 'disadvantaged'," but of course this may raise a number of
hackles.

Part of the debate is in what we can label a "sign": must it be
clearly referential, or can it be largely gestural, though used
functionally?  Folven and Bonvillian (1991) found that 1) Children do
learn signs earlier than verbal language, 2) Referential signs come at
about the same time as speech (13 months or so) and 3) Sign
combinations come at the same time whether verbal or gestural.

So, the question then becomes whether "Baby Sign" is a sort of ASL
protolanguage, whether it is developed from gesture, or whether it is
both: perhaps learning signs delays the development of the adult
language somewhat, but Griffith (1985) pointed out that this is more
in the sense of a learned bilingualism, as long as the children are
also being presented with spoken speech simultaneously, although this
is from an ASL perspective, while most Baby Signs are only loosely
based on "official" systems (it's hard to copyright your system if it
is not specific enough, perhaps; I'm not familiar with the actual
business of this, but most of the systems insist that they are only
taught by "accredited" teachers who pay a fair amount for this
privilege.)  Recent work by Stokoe (2000) theorizes an evolutionary
link between gesture and Sign languages, which seems to indicate that
the differences are not as great as we might like to see them.

On a personal note, both of my children used a home-made version of
Baby Sign to communicate.  My daughter abandoned it almost
immediately, since her verbal development was very rapid and she no
longer had need of it.  My son is currently transitioning between sign
and speech, and in fact uses quite a number of sign/speech
combinations.  Of course, it is impossible to say whether his verbal
language has been impeded in this process, but his sign inventory is
up around 50, while his non-sign language use is equivalent to other
infants his age, giving him a much greater capacity for communication
overall.  Further, in reality all children will use sign to
communicate: it is only in the codifying, teaching and encouragement
of certain signs that these systems differ from what parents would
otherwise be doing naturally.

So while Baby Sign is certainly faddy, it seems to operate well enough
in adding a bit to domestic harmony: if an infant can sign for
something instead of screaming unintelligibly, it makes for a better
home environment and relationship.  Will it make them smarter?  I will
quote the mother of an infant who used a system of nearly 100 signs
prior to speaking: "Laura still slams her head in the closet.  No
amount of Baby Signs will help that."

Cheers,
Derek Irwin
York University

Folven, Raymond J. and Bonvillian, John D. (1991) "The Transition from
Nonreferential to Referential Language in Children Acquiring American
Sign Language."  Developmental Psychology 27.5: 806-816.

Griffith, P.L. (1985) "Mode Switching and Mode Finding in a Hearing
Child of Deaf Parents."  Sign Language Studies 78: 195-222.

Meier, Richard and Newport, Elissa. (1990) "Out of the Hands of Babes:
On a possible sign advantage in language acquisition."  Language 66.1:
1-23.

William C. Stokoe, (2000) "Gesture to Sign (language)", In McNeill,
David, ed.  Language and Gesture.  Cambridge: Cambridge UP: 388-399.

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition

Language Family(ies): Sign Language