16.1796, Disc: Re: 16.1765, Review: Thomas (2004)

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jun 7 20:57:32 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1796. Tue Jun 07 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1796, Disc: Re: 16.1765, Review: Thomas (2004)

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Michael Appleby <michael at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-Jun-2005
From: Rudolph C Troike < rtroike at U.Arizona.EDU >
Subject: Re: Linguist List 16.1780. History of Ling/L2 Acquisition

Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 16:55:38
From: Rudolph C Troike < rtroike at U.Arizona.EDU >

Regarding Ron Sheen's query, it is my impression from reading that
Greek slaves were specifically retained as tutors, since Greek was
held in much the esteem that later British and other European elites
regarded French.  It was precisely out of the need to teach Greek as a
second language that some of the earliest elaborated Greek grammars
were developed (much as Ben Jonson wrote one of the first ESL texts),
which formed the basis of Varro's grammar of Latin. I have not read
Thomas' book, but perhaps the reviewer's summary over-telescoped
matters in the interests of brevity.

Rudy Troike
University of Arizona
Dept. of English & Dept. of Linguistics

Linguistic Field(s): History of Linguistics