16.1857, FYI: Language Analysis in UK Asylum Claims Cases

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Jun 13 17:31:56 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1857. Mon Jun 13 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1857, FYI: Language Analysis in UK Asylum Claims Cases

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Jun-2005
From: Peter Patrick < patrickp at essex.ac.uk >
Subject: Language Analysis in UK Asylum Claims Cases

Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:24:28
From: Peter Patrick < patrickp at essex.ac.uk >

This message refers you to a webpage concerning a questionnaire regarding
use of language analysis in UK asylum claims cases. It can be found online
at:

http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~patrickp/lhr/lhrasylum.htm

At this time, we are only concerned with cases submitted to the UK government.
We post here because it does happen often that linguists offer reports to
countries other than the one they live/work in. If you have information (e.g.
due to your own involvement) on such cases, we need a few minutes of your time.

Linguists around the world are concerned that language analysis of asylum claims
be performed - if at all - in an appropriate manner by people with relevant
expertise, in full awareness of the complex issues that may arise. For more on
this topic please see the webpage above.

We urgently ask for your help with the questionnaire - please respond today if
you can. Please pass this message to other appropriate e-forums. Though the
inquiry is especially designed to gather info on the role of linguists, we would
be grateful for the input of interpreters/translators and other language
professionals.

Thanks very much.

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Applied Linguistics
                     Discipline of Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis
                     Forensic Linguistics