16.1884, Qs: Syntax Trees/IPA for Blind; Survey/French Teachers

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 17 00:33:01 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1884. Thu Jun 16 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1884, Qs: Syntax Trees/IPA for Blind; Survey/French Teachers

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Jun-2005
From: Sage Graham < sgraham2 at memphis.edu >
Subject: Syntax trees and IPA for blind students?

2)
Date: 15-Jun-2005
From: Demetrios Eliades < d.eliades at sms.ed.ac.uk >
Subject: Survey: Teachers of French

Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 20:31:31
From: Sage Graham < sgraham2 at memphis.edu >

Hello,

I am an Assistant Professor at the University of Memphis and am currently
teaching an Introduction to Linguistics course in which I have a totally
blind student enrolled.   As an introduction, the course covers the
theoretical areas of linguistics, including syntax and phonetics.

When I have taught the course in the past, I have asked students to (1)
draw syntax trees of sample sentences and (2) also asked that they
translate sentences either into IPA or from IPA to standard English.
Syntax trees are problematic because not only can the student not produce
them, his voice software cannot describe them adequately if I send them to
him electronically.  As far as assessing phonetics goes, I cannot provide
sentences in IPA and ask that he translate them into standard English,
since his computer reads the text aloud to him, making the question
meaningless since the computer has already told him the answer.  Since he
doesn't write or draw, asking him to produce sentences in IPA is equally
problematic.

My difficulty is in figuring out how to assess this student's mastery of
the concepts without relying on visual representations of concepts -- like
the IPA or syntax trees.

I am curious (1) if there are tools available to help deal with these
problems and (2) if there are solutions that others have tried in similar
situations.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I will, of course, post a
summary of responses.

Best,

Sage Graham
sgraham2 at memphis.edu