16.1926, Sum: Language, Power and Politics Course Texts

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 22 21:21:48 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1926. Wed Jun 22 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1926, Sum: Language, Power and Politics Course Texts

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-Jun-2005
From: Richard Epstein < repstein at camden.rutgers.edu >
Subject: Language, Power and Politics Course Texts

Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:18:34
From: Richard Epstein < repstein at camden.rutgers.edu >

Regarding query: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-1806.html#1

A short time ago, I posted a query concerning possible textbooks for a
''Language, Power and Politics'' that I'm planning on teaching.

I'd like to thank the following people for their kind and very helpful replies:

Timothy Jay
Elizabeth Erling
Jutta Muschard
Roger Shuy
Anne Pomerantz
Virginia LoCastro
Harold Schiffman
Harry Feldman
Jessi Aaron
Anthea Fraser Gupta
Anne Schroeder
Jennifer Leeman
Robin Shoaps
Michael Israel
Mary Jane Curry

These were the textbooks that they recommended:

THE PSYCHOLOGY OF LANGUAGE, Timothy Jay (2003, Prentice-Hall)

WHY WE CURSE, Timothy Jay (2000, John Benjamins)

Language, Society and Power, 2003, by Thompson et al Routledge)

Jonathan Charteris-Black. 2005. Politicians and Rhetoric. The persuasive
power of metaphor. Palgrave-Macmillan.

forthcoming (July) Creating Language Crimes, Roger Shuy (Oxford U Press).

Lippi-Green, Rosina. 1997. English with an Accent:  Language, Ideology, and
Discrimination in the US.  Routlege. (mentioned by several people)**

Robin Tolmach Lakoff, ''Talking Power: the politics of anguage.'' 1990
Basic Books.

Thy politics of English by Marnie Holborow (Sage 1999).

Janet Holmes, 'An introduction to English linguistics'

Thomas, Linda et al (eds.). 1999. Language, Society and Power, An
Introduction. London/New York: Routledge. (2 mentions)

Langauge in the US (brand new edited volume from Cambridge).

Deborah Tannen,  _Talking Voices_.

a collection of essays and readings called ''What's language got to do with
it?''   http://www.wwnorton.com/write/language/

Hal Schiffman very generously offered to share the information
at his website:

 http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/popcult/copaktoc.html
  (a reading list)

 http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/popcult/syllabus.html

and for the language of advertising:
 http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~haroldfs/bibliogs/forbrbib.htm

I would like to thank all the people who took the time to reply. I'm very
grateful for their useful suggestions.

Rich Epstein
Associate Professor-Linguistics
Dept. of English