16.1958, Sum: Consonant Effects on Pitch

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 24 18:19:16 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1958. Fri Jun 24 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1958, Sum: Consonant Effects on Pitch

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 23-Jun-2005
From: Jason Brown < jcb at interchange.ubc.ca >
Subject: Consonant Effects on Pitch

Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:17:39
From: Jason Brown < jcb at interchange.ubc.ca >

Regarding query: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-1804.html#2

Dear Linguists,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query about the effects that various
consonant types have on pitch in different languages.  The kind individuals
who responded include:

John Davis
Laura Downing
Susan Guion
Michael Marlo
Katie Schack
Takahito Shinya
Ian Wilson

The references that they directed me to include:

Bradshaw, Mary M. 1999. A crosslinguistic study of consonant-tone
interaction. Ph.D. dissertation, Ohio State University.

Downing, Laura J. & Bryan Gick. 2001. Voiceless tone depressors in Nambya
and Botswana Kalang'a. In Proceedings of the 27th meeting of the Berkeley
Linguistics Society, Berkeley, CA: University of California, Berkeley. 1-11.

Guion, Susan G. and Ratree P. Wayland. 2004. Aerodynamic coarticulation in
sound change or How onset trills can condition a falling tone. In
Proceedings of the 2003 Texas Linguistics Society Conference, ed. Augustine
Agwuele, Willis Warren, and Sang-Hoon Park, 107-115.Somerville, MA:
Cascadilla Proceedings Project.

Maddieson, Ian. 1997. Phonetic universals. In The Handbook of Phonetic
Sciences, ed W. Hardcastle and J. Laver. Oxford: Blackwell, pp. 619-639.

Schack, Katrina. 2003. Tonal phonology in Kam. M.A. thesis, University of
Texas at Arlington.

Kingston, John & Randy L. Diehl. 1994. Phonetic knowledge. Language 70:419-454.

Wayland, R.P. & Guion, S.G. To appear. Sound changes following the loss of
/r/ in Khmer: A new tonogenetic mechanism? Mon-Khmer Studies.

And of course, the references cited within these sources.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
Jason Brown

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics