16.2044, Qs: Grammars: Spanish; Cancelling Gricean Implicatures

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jun 30 19:26:39 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-2044. Thu Jun 30 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.2044, Qs: Grammars: Spanish; Cancelling Gricean Implicatures

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-Jun-2005
From: You-Jing Lin < youjing at umail.ucsb.edu >
Subject: Grammars of Spanish

2)
Date: 30-Jun-2005
From: Emma Borg < e.g.n.borg at rdg.ac.uk >
Subject: Cancelling Gricean Implicatures

Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 15:24:46
From: You-Jing Lin < youjing at umail.ucsb.edu >

Dear Linguist List Colleagues,

Does anyone happen to know of any authoritative grammars of Modern Spanish
and of Spanish of the 15th~16th centuries?

I am currently looking at a case in which the Spanish preposition 'para'
seems to have become more grammaticalized after it was borrowed into a
Nahuatl language. While observing the different uses of 'para' in Nahuatl,
I'd also like to trace the development of the preposition in Spanish since
the 15th-16th centuries.It would be really helpful if I could get a hold of
some grammars that provide such information.

Thanks in advance!

You-Jing Lin
Department of Linguistics
University of California, Santa Barbara

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics