16.597, Qs: Gender in Creole Langs; Visual Recognition Task

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 1 23:42:21 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-597. Tue Mar 01 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.597, Qs: Gender in Creole Langs; Visual Recognition Task

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Steven Moran <steve at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Feb-2005
From: Cristina Martínez-Sanz < cristy45 at hotmail.com >
Subject: Gender in Creole Languages

2)
Date: 28-Feb-2005
From: Tolya Kharkhurin < akharkhurin at gc.cuny.edu >
Subject: Continuous visual recognition task

Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 18:40:32
From: Cristina Martínez-Sanz < cristy45 at hotmail.com >

Dear all:

It is generally assumed that distinctions of grammatical gender in creole
languages were not maintained, as seen in (1), apart from the preserved
natural gender oppositions in specific nouns, as in (2), the natural gender
distinctions indicated through the juxtaposition of a noun indicating sex,
which Holm (1989) treated as calques on African idioms, as in (3), or the
feminine adjectives preserved with a distinction in meaning, as in (4):
[examples taken from Holm (1989)]

(1) un kasa má bonito              [Palenquero]
    'a prettier house'
    (cf. Spanish 'una casa más bonita', being 'house' feminine)
(2) a. rei ('king', cf. Spanish 'rey', 'king')  [Papiamentu]
    b. reina ('queen', cf.Spanish 'reina', 'queen')
(3) a. mucha homber                  [Papiamentu]
    'boy' (cf. Spanish 'muchacho','boy', and 'hombre', 'man')
    b. mucha muhe (cf. Spanish 'mujer', 'woman')
(4) a. gró                           [Guyanais]
       'fat' (cf. French 'gros', 'fat')
    b. gros
       'pregnant' (cf. French 'grosse', 'fat.feminine'

However, I would like to know if there are any creole languages that have
grammaticalized gender, that is to say, if any creole language has gender
markers such as free or bound morphemes, or any other grammatical ways of
marking gender.

Thanks a lot,

Cristina Martínez-Sanz
Department of Modern Languages