16.735, FYI: Artificial Speech, Listening Tests; EIU @ Monash U

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 11 20:36:40 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-735. Fri Mar 11 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.735, FYI: Artificial Speech, Listening Tests; EIU @ Monash U

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Mar-2005
From: Tina Bennett < tinab+llist at andrew.cmu.edu >
Subject: Artificial Speech Listening Tests

2)
Date: 10-Mar-2005
From: Lorraine Bullock < Lorraine.Bullock at arts.monash.edu.au >
Subject: Distance Education at Monash U, English In Use

Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:32:00
From: Tina Bennett < tinab+llist at andrew.cmu.edu >

The Blizzard Challenge 2005:
Evaluating corpus-based speech synthesis on common databases
http://www.festvox.org/blizzard/

LISTENING TESTS:

In order to investigate corpus-based speech synthesis techniques we have
devised a large experiment: a number of research laboratories throughout
the world used the same speech databases to build synthetic voices.

We have set up web-based listening tests that we would like to have as
many people take part in as possible, and we feel that diverse bodies of
participants (i.e. those who are knowledgeable about speech, those
knowledgeable about technology, and lay people) would make for
interesting comparisons.  One of the goals of the exercise is not just to find
out how the different systems compare against each other but also to
discover how many participants are sufficient to give significant results.

These tests play various waveform files to the listener who then is asked to
score them on a 1-5 scale, or in some tests type in what they hear.

The results will also be compared with more controlled subsets of listeners,
but we also wish to be able to expand the total number of participants.

To carry out the listening test please go to:

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/blizzard/register-R.html

You will be asked to register, then listen to and evaluate a set of sentences.
We find it takes around 30-60 minutes to complete all the tests.  It is good if
you can carry this out in a single session, but you can take a break and
return later, continuing from where you left off.

When you have finished, please give us as much feedback (via the
questionnaire) as you are willing.  Native language information, etc. will be
especially useful.

Thanks for helping the improvement of spoken output!

Tina Bennett
Ph.D. student, Speech group
Language Technologies Institute
Carnegie Mellon University