16.778, Jobs: American Sign Language: Lecturer, U of Michigan

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 15 04:28:49 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-778. Mon Mar 14 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.778, Jobs: American Sign Language: Lecturer, U of Michigan

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 24-Feb-2005
From: Sue Suslee < ssuslee at umich.edu >
Subject: Modified Re: 16. 571: American Sign Language: Lecturer, University of Michigan, MI, USA

Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 23:25:15
From: Sue Suslee < ssuslee at umich.edu >

University or Organization: University of Michigan
Department: Linguistics
Job Rank: Lecturer
Specialty Areas: American Sign Language

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Michigan invites applications
for a lecturer position in American Sign Language.  We seek candidates who hold
an MA (Ph.D. preferred) in linguistics, ASL studies, psychology, education or
related field, and who are ASLTA certified or willing to seek certification.
Experience teaching ASL for language requirement at the post-secondary level is
required. Candidates should have strong teaching abilities and be committed to
excellence in teaching; they should also have an interest in development and
application of innovative instructional methods.

Responsibilities include instructing courses in ASL (Signing Naturally Levels
1-3) and Deaf Culture for undergraduate language requirement; commitment to
program enrichment including all activities related to teaching and learning,
evaluation of students for placement, and language lab resources; maintenance of
professional credentials; and department service.

The full-time one-year appointment begins September 1, 2005, with renewal
possible but not guaranteed.  A letter of interest, curriculum vita, statement
of teaching philosophy, evidence of teaching excellence (teaching portfolio, if
available), and two or three letters of recommendation should be sent to Patrice
Speeter Beddor, Chair, Department of Linguistics, University of Michigan, 4080
Frieze Building, Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1285.  Review of applications will begin
March 15, 2005; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.

Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.  The University of Michigan is an
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.

Address for Applications:

	Dr. Patrice Beddor
	University of Michigan
	105 S. State Street
	Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285
	United States of America

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information:

	Suzanne Suslee
	Email: ssuslee at umich.edu
	Phone: (734) 764-0353
	Fax: (734) 936-3406
	Website: http://ling.lsa.umich.edu/home/index.html

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!