16.814, Reflection: Moderator Anthony Aristar on 16 Years of LINGUIST

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 17 15:58:22 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-814. Thu Mar 17 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.814, Reflection: Moderator Anthony Aristar on 16 Years of LINGUIST

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Neil Salmond <neil at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Mar-2005
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >

2)
Date: 17-Mar-2005
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: How to donate...

3)
Date: 17-Mar-2005
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Thank you to all of our contributors!

Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:55:08
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >

Dear LINGUIST subscribers,

When I look back on the sixteen years that LINGUIST has been in operation, I've
sometimes  wondered if I would have started the list had I known how large an
operation it would become.

Not, of course, that I was not warned?  I remember that when I discussed the
idea with a colleague, he counseled me not to do it. Mailing lists were far too
much work, he said.  How could that be, I argued?  After all, it was just meant
to be a cosy little list of 20 or 30 colleagues talking linguistics.  There
surely couldn't be much work in that.

By the time LINGUIST started, however, the cosy list had grown to 60 or 70
subscribers.  And by the time the list was a year old, it had a membership of
1500.   Somehow I had produced something that people wanted much more than I
had predicted, and I was wondering how on earth Helen and I were going to keep
the thing afloat. In those days, both of us did all the work there was, of
posting and moderating and editing every message.  But at least it couldn't get
much bigger, I thought...

Of course LINGUIST did get much bigger, until today we have 20,850 subscribers
to the main LINGUIST list and its ancillary LINGLITE list, an Oracle database
containing tens of thousands of records, and a customized web-site that
contains thousands of pages.  We post up to 60-70 communications per day
through the list, every one of which has to be read and edited if necessary.
We keep a database of everything that linguists find interesting or useful:
jobs, conferences, calls, articles in the media, books, journals and papers,
and write virtually all the software and programs we need ourselves.

We review most linguistic books published, moderate discussions, store dissertation
abstracts, and categorize all of these resources according to their language
code and linguistic specialty. We try very hard to provide the very best
service we can to our discipline, and we do it all as a free service.

But of course we are doing so much more on LINGUIST now than we had earlier
planned to do. Without intending to, we've contrived to become the major source
of information for the discipline of linguistics, providing the discipline with
a single place where it can find almost anything it needs.  And we are training
and supporting a substantial group of graduate students, most of whom will
continue on to PhDs in linguistics.

Obviously, the days when Helen and I could do all of this ourselves are long
gone.  I doubt if we could do a 100th of it ourselves, in fact.  Our graduates
are enthusiastic towards LINGUIST, and many of them would, I think, work
without pay if it were feasible.  But graduate students must eat, and pay their
tuition, so if we are to employ them to do the work of the list, we must support
them.

So it's crucially important, if LINGUIST is to continue to provide you with the
services you've come to expect from us, that you donate to LINGUIST,
and give us the ability to keep going as we have.  And more is to come: we are
planning to add yet more of the services that you've asked for this year, if we
just have the staff to do it.

So won't you help us and give us a donation?  It will help us so much.  And it
will help you too.

Anthony Aristar