16.830, Confs: Phonology/Phonetics/London, UK

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 18 17:51:00 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-830. Fri Mar 18 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.830, Confs: Phonology/Phonetics/London, UK

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Andrea Berez <andrea at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Mar-2005
From: Sam Hellmuth < sh7 at soas.ac.uk >
Subject: Making Sense of Prosody

Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 12:49:46
From: Sam Hellmuth < sh7 at soas.ac.uk >

Making Sense of Prosody

Date: 24-May-2005 - 24-May-2005
Location: London, United Kingdom
Contact: Sam Hellmuth
Meeting URL: http://mercury.soas.ac.uk/linguistics/workshop.htm

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics; Phonology

Meeting Description:

Making Sense of Prosody (an open workshop): how we can solve apparently
intractable descriptive problems in the tone and intonation of languages with
the help of recent phonetic and phonological theoretical models.

The Department of Linguistics, School of Oriental & African Studies (University
of London), in association with the Department of Linguistics, Queen Mary
(University of London), presents an open workshop:

Making Sense of Prosody

Date: Tuesday 24 May 2005
Venue: Room B102, Brunei Gallery (First Floor), SOAS, Russell Square, London
WC1H 0XG

1:15 Welcome

1:25    Larry Hyman (UC Berkeley)
	Tone in Kitiriki: Or how I learned to stop worrying and love OT

2:15    Sam Hellmuth (SOAS)
	Cause for concern in Cairo? Why we should describe Arabic intonation

2:45 Break

3:00    Yi Xu (UCL)
	The  changing faces of tones: Standard Chinese tones in context

3:30    Justin Watkins (SOAS)
	Slippery tones:  Burmese tones in context

4.00 Break

4.15    Carlos Gussenhoven (Queen Mary)
	Is that a tone or an accent? The prosody of the Nubi verb

4.45	Moira Yip (UCL)
	Real and not-so-real tonal changes in Standard Chinese

5.15 General discussion

5.30 Drinks (SOAS Senior Common Room)

No prior registration required. All Welcome. Admission is free.

Workshop website: http://mercury.soas.ac.uk/linguistics/workshop.htm
Directions to the venue: http://www.soas.ac.uk/gallery/findus.html.

Organizers:
Monik Charette (SOAS)