16.853, Books: Disc Analysis/Pragmatics: Halmari, Virtanen (Eds)

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 21 17:48:46 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-853. Mon Mar 21 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.853, Books: Disc Analysis/Pragmatics: Halmari, Virtanen (Eds)

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Megan Zdrojkowski <megan at linguistlist.org>

Links to the websites of all LINGUIST's supporting publishers
are available at the end of this issue.

Date: 16-Mar-2005
From: Paul Peranteau < paul at benjamins.com >
Subject: Persuasion Across Genres: Halmari, Virtanen (Eds)

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:41:49
From: Paul Peranteau < paul at benjamins.com >

Title: Persuasion Across Genres
Subtitle: A linguistic approach
Series Title: Pragmatics & Beyond New Series 130

Publication Year: 2005
Publisher: John Benjamins
	   http://www.benjamins.com/

Book URL: http://www.benjamins.com/cgi-bin/t_bookview.cgi?bookid=P%26bns%20130

Editor: Helena Halmari, Sam Houston State University
Editor: Tuija Virtanen, Åbo Akademi University

Hardback: ISBN: 9027253730 Pages: x, 257 Price: Europe EURO 110.00
Hardback: ISBN: 1588115887 Pages: x, 257 Price: U.S. $ 132.00

Abstract:

Persuasion, in its various linguistic forms, enters our lives daily.
Politicians and the news media attempt to change or confirm our beliefs,
while advertisers try to bend our tastes toward buying their products.
Persuasion goes on in courtrooms, universities, and the business world.
Persuasion pervades interpersonal relations in all social spheres, public
and private. And persuasion reaches us via a large number of genres and
their intricate interplay.

This volume brings together nine chapters which investigate some of the
typical genres of modern persuasion. Using both quantitative and
qualitative methods, the authors explore the linguistic features of
successful (and unsuccessful) persuasion and the reasons for the variation
of persuasive choices as realized in various genres: business negotiations,
judicial argumentation, political speech, advertising, newspaper
editorials, and news writing. In the final chapter, the editors tie
together the two themes -persuasion and genres- by proposing an
Intergenre Model. This model assumes that a powerful force behind generic
evolution is the perennial need for implicit persuasion.

Table of contents

Acknowledgements p.vii

Introduction

Persuasion across genres: Emerging perspectives
Tuija Virtanen and Helena Halmari  pp.3-24

Focusing on private and semipublic discourse
Persuasion in business negotiations
Anne Marie Buelow-Møller pp.27-58

Persuasion in judicial argumentation: The Opinions of the Advocates General
at the European Court of Justice
Tarja Salmi-Tolonen  pp.59-101

Focusing on public discourse
In search of "successful" political persuasion: A comparison of the sytles
of Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan
Helena Halmari  pp.105-134

In a nutshell: Persuasion in the spatially constrained language of advertising
Paul Bruthiaux  pp.135-151

"Polls and surveys show": Public opinion as a persuasive device in
editorial discourse
Tuija Virtanen  pp.153-180

Theoretical considerations
Persuasion as implicit anchoring: The case of collocations
Jan-Ola Östman  pp.183-212

Generic patterns in promotional discourse
Vijay K. Bhatia pp.213-225

Concluding remarks
Towards understanding modern persuasion
Helena Halmari and Tuija Virtanen pp.229-244

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Pragmatics

Written In: English  (ENG)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/get-book.html?BookID=13798

MAJOR SUPPORTERS

	Cascadilla Press
		http://www.cascadilla.com/

	Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd
		http://www.continuumbooks.com

	Edinburgh University Press
		http://www.eup.ed.ac.uk/

	Elsevier Ltd.
		http://www.elsevier.com/locate/linguistics

	Equinox Publishing Ltd.
		http://www.equinoxpub.com/

	Georgetown University Press
		http://www.press.georgetown.edu

	Hodder Arnold
		http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk

	John Benjamins
		http://www.benjamins.com/

	Lawrence Erlbaum Associates
		http://www.erlbaum.com/

	Lincom GmbH
		http://www.lincom-europa.com

	MIT Press
		http://mitpress.mit.edu/

	Mouton de Gruyter
		http://www.mouton-publishers.com

	Oxford University Press
		http://www.oup.com/us

	Rodopi
		http://www.rodopi.nl/

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

	Graduate Linguistic Students' Assoc., Umass
		http://glsa.hypermart.net/

	International Pragmatics Assoc.
		http://ipra-www.uia.ac.be/ipra/

	Kingston Press Ltd
		http://www.kingstonpress.com/

	MIT Working Papers in Linguistics
		http://web.mit.edu/mitwpl/

	Multilingual Matters
		http://www.multilingual-matters.com/

	Pacific Linguistics
		http://pacling.anu.edu.au/

	Palgrave Macmillan
		http://www.palgrave.com

	SIL International
		http://www.ethnologue.com/bookstore.asp

	St. Jerome Publishing Ltd.
		http://www.stjerome.co.uk

	Utrecht Institute of Linguistics / LOT Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistic
		http://www-uilots.let.uu.nl/