16.855, Graduate: Directories, XML and spam in four languages!

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 21 18:51:54 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-855. Mon Mar 21 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.855, Graduate: Directories, XML and spam in four languages!

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Neil Salmond <neil at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Mar-2005
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: The true personal story of LINGUIST Editor Amy Renaud

2)
Date: 21-Mar-2005
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: How to donate...

3)
Date: 21-Mar-2005
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Here's a list of happy, beautiful, wonderful people!

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 13:48:44
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >

Dear Linguists,

After finally finishing my BS in Cognitive Science, I knew that I would find a
home somewhere.  I spent the summer of 2004 working outside the field without
much direction, but was at the last minute accepted to EMU's MA Linguistics
program.  I found LINGUIST shortly thereafter, and was incredibly bowled over by
the warm welcome I was afforded by the crew here.

I have worked on a number of the projects that we accomplish at LINGUIST, but
the majority of my work has been centered around the ALL Language Project.  My
work with Takako Matsui on the project facilitates direct contact with the
linguistic community, a great advantage for any future linguist.  The database
that we are completing is a resource that I expect will be universally useful to
the community as a whole, and is part of the future of the internet, as a
searchable reference resource.  As of right now, the ALL Language Project has
11074 entries.  We keep information on linguists, their language specialties and
publications that can be managed by each linguist using their LINGUIST password.

See the fruits of our work at http://linguistlist.org/people/personal/index.html

In addition to the ALL Language Project, I post NoticeBoard and have had the
opportunity to work on the E-MELD School of Best Practices, which taught me XML.
 The most fun job I have at LINGUIST is filtering the main linguist email.

Who would have thought that in 4 months I?d be able to recognize spam in 4
different languages?

Under the guidance of Helen Aristar-Dry and Anthony Aristar, I attended the
Linguistic Society of America annual conference, which helped me clarify some
of my future career goals.  LINGUIST is a unique experience that your funding
makes available to prospective career linguists.

I am most thankful that they had room for just one more at the desk.

Thank you,
Amy Renaud
Editor, Research Assistant