16.858, Sum: Australian [ae]-lengthening

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 21 20:06:54 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-858. Mon Mar 21 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.858, Sum: Australian [ae]-lengthening

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Mar-2005
From: Tonio Green < toniogreen at web.de >
Subject: Australian [ae]-lengthening

Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:03:45
From: Tonio Green < toniogreen at web.de >

Regarding query: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-669.html#1

Dear all,

I got a lot of responses to my question about [ae] lengthening in Australian
English and am pleased to report that yes, it's a real phenomenon. Almost
everyone agreed that at least some Australians (many said *all* Australians)
have different vowel lengths in pairs like can/can and lad/bad. Some people
confirmed that this is partly true for some speakers of RP as well (no
difference in can/can, but in lad/bad and some other pairs).

One Australian respondent gave "cans"/"Cairns" as a minimal pair, though, making
me wonder whether /ae/ has really split into two phonemes, or whether some /ae/
words have simply gone over to what Wells calls the SQUARE vowel. In other
words, if you have a longer vowel in "bad" than in "lad", is "bad" still
distinct from "Baird"?

(I have been told by New York City speakers that their tensed /ae/ is not
distinct from their SQUARE vowel if they're being nonrhotic, so that "pass"
rhymes with "scarce", but I don't think there's a real phonemic merger, because
NYC speakers have a tendency to suppress nonrhoticity in careful speech, but do
not (as far as I know) hypercorrect tense /ae/ to /er/ in words like "pass".)

As for literature, I was pointed to:

- Burridge, Kate. 1998. English in Australia and New Zealand. Oxford: Oxford
University Press.

- Leitner, Gerhard. 2004. Australia's Many Voices. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter.

as well as an unpublished paper by Erich Round comparing Australian [ae]
lengthening with Mid-Atlantic [ae] tensing

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond and to share their insights with
me, namely:

Louise Baird
Chris Cleirigh
Sarah Cutfield