16.907, Qs: Structural N Incorporation;Correctness of English

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 25 00:27:20 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-907. Thu Mar 24 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.907, Qs: Structural N Incorporation;Correctness of English

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 24-Mar-2005
From: Ana de la Fuente < delafuen at ext.jussieu.fr >
Subject: Structural Noun Incorporation

2)
Date: 23-Mar-2005
From: Noriko Nakanishi < questionnaire2004 at mail.goo.ne.jp >
Subject: Correctness of English as a Foreign Language

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 19:22:22
From: Ana de la Fuente < delafuen at ext.jussieu.fr >

Dear all,

I am looking at languages with structural noun incorporation, with special
attention to discourse reference possibilities.

There seem to be two types of languages: those where an incorporated
nominal supports discourse anaphora and those that do not. (I set aside
definite reference possibilities).

Looking at the data in the literature,- (Geenhoven 1998, Sadock 1991,
Mithun 1984, Cook & Wilhelm 1998, Gronemeyer 1996, among others), I have
noticed that languages that support discourse anaphora also license numeral
and weak quantifier stranding.  This is the case of W. Greenlandic, Mohawk,
Hopi and Southern Tiwa.

On the other hand, languages that do not support discourse anaphora like
Chipewan and Modern Nahuatl, do not license either numeral or quantifier
stranding.

Does anybody know of other languages with structural noun incorporation
that follow this pattern? Or languages that do not?  And if yes, would it
be possible to send me the relevant data?   Thanks!

I will be glad to post a summary with the data.

Ana de la Fuente
Université de Paris 3
delafuen at ext.jussieu.fr

154 rue de Romainville