16.909, Disc: Re: 16.894, Abolishing Fund Drive

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 25 15:33:36 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-909. Fri Mar 25 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.909, Disc: Re: 16.894, Abolishing Fund Drive

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Mar-2005
From: Aubrey Nunes < aubrey at pigeonpostbox.co.uk >
Subject: Re:16.894, Abolishing Fund Drive Once and For All

2)
Date: 25-Mar-2005
From: Jeffrey Kaplan < jkaplan at mail.sdsu.edu >

Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:31:36
From: Aubrey Nunes < aubrey at pigeonpostbox.co.uk >

Dear Editor and fellow subscribers,

An important part of this wonderful institution is precisely that it is free at
point of use to those who need it and mostly can't afford to pay for it.

Publishers are not so badly represented among the contributors, though there are
gaps. But from the employing institutions there are only 21 names. In  relation
to job advertisements, there is an obvious scale - as a percentage of first
annual salary. I can hear moans. But the institutional solution is surely to
trim the display advertisements in the largely privately-owned, paper-based
academic media ­ none with the focus and penetration of LL.

There is a marketing question to be asked: of those with a job in
linguistics,how many first heard about it on LL? On a suitably adjusted  figure
it would be possible to base a fee structure which would be excellent  value for
institutions, and hopefully solve at least most of the crisis.

The list of contributors contains the names of five centres of linguistic
excellence in Britain. But there are gaps - including one which recently
advertised a job on LL. And the rest of linguistic academe looks more  stingy,
especially in North America. Seeing in the honorable list the name of the LL
editor who helped me join, I have to chip in myself. But I think those in a
position to determine institutional allocations of advertising  expenditure
should play their part too.

This is a kind of obvious idea. And you've considered it, of course. I have no
idea what you see as the down side, But it seems to me that whatever the
downside is, it is nowhere near as bad as any of the other options.

Aubrey Nunes,
PhD, RMRCSLT, FRSA