16.932, Disc: Re: 16.894, Disc: Abolishing Fund Drive

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Mar 27 17:07:43 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-932. Sun Mar 27 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.932, Disc: Re: 16.894, Disc: Abolishing Fund Drive

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date: 26-Mar-2005
From: Madalena Cruz-Ferreira < ellmcf at nus.edu.sg >
Subject: RE: Abolishing Fund Drive Once and For All?

2)
Date: 26-Mar-2005
From: Nick Caffrey < info at caffrey.ie >
Subject: Fund Drive

Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 12:00:10
From: Madalena Cruz-Ferreira < ellmcf at nus.edu.sg >

Hi there, you valiant lot

I get cardiac arrhythmia every time the Fund Drive is on and no-one is
paying any attention to it and what it means. It gets worse with every
message from you and the very real risk of losing the Linguist List
altogether. For the sake of my health, here are my two cents on your
posting today:

> We could start charging subscription fees to receive emails, or to access
the site, or  both.

I vote, *strongly*, "Aye", for emails, site or both. Why on earth should
you have to beg, as you so rightly put it, in order to be able to provide *us*
with a service that we literally can't do without?  Your site says:
>a mailing list with over 20,000 subscribers worldwide

for a USD 50,000 Fund Drive a year, right? That's not a lot per
subscriber, and I don't mind paying more than the arithmetical average to
cover students, etc. who subscribe but can't afford to pay.  If I pay USD 50
yearly to access Blackwell's Labs, why not pay the same to Linguist, which
covers abstracts and infinitely more?

>We could enforce payment for various topics, such as jobs and
conferences.

Re-"Aye"
And since I presume publishers pay you for book announcements, how
about charging them for published reviews too? I've ordered several books
for my university library over several years because of what Linguist reviews
said about them. I'm sure I'm not the only one. The publishers are making
money on Linguist reviews, why shouldn't you, who provide the service and
besides do free publicity to their goods in this way?

Whew!! Thanks for letting me get this off my chest!

Madalena

Madalena Cruz-Ferreira
Dept. English Language and Literature
National University of Singapore