16.940, Disc: Re: 16.894, Disc: Abolishing Fund Drive

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 28 18:49:46 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-940. Mon Mar 28 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.940, Disc: Re: 16.894, Disc: Abolishing Fund Drive

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Naomi Fox <fox at linguistlist.org>

Date: 28-Mar-2005
From: Karen Ward < ward at up.edu >
Subject: Re: 16.894, Disc: Abolishing Fund Drive

2)
Date: 27-Mar-2005
From: Kenza Cherkaoui Messin < kenza.c at free.fr >
Subject: Abolishing Fund Drive

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:46:40
From: Karen Ward < ward at up.edu >

I disagree with the proposals to charge for Linguist services.

I've been reading the Linguist list since its first year, I believe, when it was
just a labor of love carried out by a couple of profs in their  "spare" time.
I've contributed to the fund drives since my graduate student days, and I'm
happy to do so.  As a broke graduate student, however, it is unlikely that I
would have subscribed to a for-pay mailing list.  In fact, it is unlikely even
now that I would pay a fee for a service that had not already proved its value
and quality to me.  Keeping the list and site free allows us to attract
subscribers and  users who might eventually decide that it is worth paying for.

I agree that a for-fee service might be fairer on the surface, in the  sense
that everyone using the list and web site would be contributing  monetarily to
its upkeep.  For some of the folks that use this list and  the associated web
site, however, even a modest fee would represent an  insurmountable difficulty -
and, of course, these will be precisely  the people who would have the fewest
alternatives should the list become  inaccessible to them. Some of us just plain
can afford more. A voluntary  contribution allows those who can to subsidize
those who cannot.

Also, I am concerned that charging for access would impoverish the  resource in
other ways.  Much of its value to the profession (and to the  corporate entities
that help subsidize the list operation) lies in its  large subscriber base.
Would the discussions and request for information be as valuable with a quarter
or a tenth the number of subscribers?  Would the corporate contributers be as
willing to pay for the smaller  number of eyes? I submit that even the
free-loaders and the passive  readers contribute with their mere presence
(although their money would  be nice as well!).

That said, I do not deny that the current system appears to be creaking,  at
least.  I think it might be worth asking whether the scope of the effort can be
scaled back somewhat.  Don't get me wrong - I am in awe of how much is done and
how many students are supported with the relatively modest amount of money
budgeted.  But if the money simply isn't there, can we do less and still have a
valuable service?  Is it all or nothing?

Karen Ward (ward)
Visiting Assistant Professor of Computer Science
University of Portland (@up.edu)