16.942, Qs: Nominal Compounds; English Semantic Change

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 28 23:50:55 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-942. Mon Mar 28 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.942, Qs: Nominal Compounds; English Semantic Change

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 28-Mar-2005
From: Denis Jamet < denis.jamet at libertysurf.fr >
Subject: Nominal Compounds

2)
Date: 28-Mar-2005
From: Oxana Doudina < oxanadoudina at yahoo.de >
Subject: English Semantic Change

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:49:38
From: Denis Jamet < denis.jamet at libertysurf.fr >

Fund Drive 2005 is now on! Visit http://linguistlist.org/donate.html to donate now!

Dear Linguists,

I am currently working on nominal compounds (N N, N-N or NN), and more
precisely on the first noun, very often referred to as the determiner in
lexicology. Most of the time, the first noun cannot be put in the plural,
as it is used as an adjective would be : a brick factory, and not *a bricks
factory, etc.

Yet, when I read newspapers, I come across such compounds more and more
often: Iraq's AntiquitiES Department, JobS report, JobS growth, PayrollS
reports, etc.

I was wondering if you knew of any articles or books on this subject. I'll
post a summary if necessary.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

Denis JAMET

Associate Professor of English Linguistics

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax