16.950, Jobs: Psycholinguistics: Senior Test Developer, Texas

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 29 17:57:50 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-950. Tue Mar 29 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.950, Jobs: Psycholinguistics: Senior Test Developer, Texas

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 29-Mar-2005
From: Amanda Digman < amanda_digman at harcourt.com >
Subject: Psycholinguistics: Senior Test Developer, Oridinate Corporation, TX, USA

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:49:52
From: Amanda Digman < amanda_digman at harcourt.com >

Fund Drive 2005 is now on! Visit http://linguistlist.org/donate.html to donate now!

University or Organization: Oridinate Corporation
Department: Test Development
Job Rank: Senior Test Developer
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics

This position is located in Menlo Park, California working for the Ordinate
Corporation, a Harcourt Assessment, Inc. company. Relocation assistance can
and/or will be provided to the incumbent.

Ordinate Corporation, located in Menlo Park, California, is the world's only
company providing automated spoken language testing, including reading tests for
children and other speech diagnostic tools. Using our own speech recognition
technologies, we provide services that extract information such as language
proficiency (comprehension, fluency, pronunciation, sentence structure,
vocabulary) over the telephone or via the Internet. Our system is used by
educational institutions to test incoming students, by companies to pre-screen
employees for spoken language abilities, and by the US Department of Education
and other government agencies for widespread language proficiency testing. We
are committed to developing systems and instruments that use new technologies to
create the most accurate and efficient language assessments available.

Ordinate provides the fun atmosphere of a small, growing company where there is
freedom to learn, expand, and make an impact. We're located one minute's walk
from the CalTrain station and downtown Menlo Park's restaurants and cafes.

For more information on the Ordinate Corporation, please visit
http://www.ordinate.com

The Senior Test developers are responsible for designing reliable and valid
language performance assessments based on theories in linguistics and
psychology, and informed by and understanding of automatic speech recognition.

Day-to-day:
- Write test specifications
- Create test items
- Design validation experiments
- Recruit participants
- Analyze data
- Write technical reports
- Manage consultants
- Present research results
- Work closely with other groups in the company
- Train junior test developers

Experience Required:
- At least 3 years of experience working in industry in the field of educational
assessment or speech recognition.

Experience Preferred:
- At least 5 years of experience working in industry in the field of educational
assessment or speech recognition.

Education Required: A graduate degree in linguistics, computational linguistics,
or experimental psychology

Education Preferred: A Ph.D. in linguistics, computational linguistics, or
experimental psychology (an emphasis on Phonetics/ Phonology; speech
production/perception or literacy is a plus)

Skills required:
- Bright, self-motivated
- Able to manage projects independently
- Excellent interpersonal and written skills
- Fluency in more than one language is preferred

Address for Applications:

	Robbi Cowley
	19500 Bulverde Rd.
	San Antonio, TX 78259
	United States of America

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information

	Human Resources
	Phone: 210-339-5000
	Website: http://www.harcourtassessment.com

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!