16.951, Jobs: Psycholinguistics: Researcher, Texas

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 29 18:25:56 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-951. Tue Mar 29 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.951, Jobs: Psycholinguistics: Researcher, Texas

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Collberg, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

employment page http://linguistlist.org/jobnet.html. This page has been set

Date: 29-Mar-2005
From: Amanda Digman < amanda_digman at harcourt.com >
Subject: Psycholinguistics: Researcher, Oridinate Corporation, TX, USA

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:23:48
From: Amanda Digman < amanda_digman at harcourt.com >

Fund Drive 2005 is now on! Visit http://linguistlist.org/donate.html to donate now!

University or Organization: Oridinate Corporation
Department: Research
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics; Psycholinguistics

This position is located in Menlo Park, California working for the Ordinate
Corporation, a Harcourt Assessment, Inc. company. Relocation assistance can
and/or will be provided to the incumbent.

Ordinate Corporation, located in Menlo Park, California, is the world's
only company providing automated spoken language testing, including reading
tests for children and other speech diagnostic tools. Using our own speech
recognition technologies, we provide services that extract information such
as language proficiency (comprehension, fluency, pronunciation, sentence
structure, vocabulary) over the telephone or via the Internet. Our system
is used by educational institutions to test incoming students, by companies
to pre-screen employees for spoken language abilities, and by the US
Department of Education and other government agencies for widespread
language proficiency testing. We are committed to developing systems and
instruments that use new technologies to create the most accurate and
efficient language assessments available.

Ordinate provides the fun atmosphere of a small, growing company where
there is freedom to learn, expand, and make an impact. We're located in a
Victorian mansion in Menlo Park, one minute's walk from the CalTrain
station and downtown Menlo Park's restaurants and cafes.

For additional information on Ordinate Corporation, please visit
http://www.ordinate.com

This is a research role to help expand our core technology capability in
speech recognition and automatic grading. Today, our technology is capable
 of scoring simple, closed-form questions. In order to increase face
validity of our tests, we would like to expand our capability to be able to
grade open questions, oral proficiency interviews, and dialog based test
items.

The incumbent's primary responsibility is to carry out research with the
goal of expanding Ordinate's core technical capabilities in automatic
grading of oral proficiency tests.

Experience Required: Research in speech recognition.

Experience Preferred: Research in speech recognition and pattern recognition.

Education Required: Ph.D. in speech recognition.

Skills Required: Excellent communication, the ability to be a team player,
creative, high energy, strong work ethic.

Please Apply On-line at: http://www.harcourtassessment.com; Job # 2294

Address for Applications:

	Robbi Cowley
	19500 Bulverde Rd.
	San Antonio, TX 78259
	United States of America

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information

	Human Resources
	Phone: 210-339-5000
	Website: http://www.harcourtassessment.com

This announcement was not accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List.
It is being posted as a service to the discipline.