16.1440, Jobs: Computational Ling: Researcher, Motorola

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 5 21:32:48 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1440. Thu May 05 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1440, Jobs: Computational Ling: Researcher, Motorola

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-May-2005
From: Paul Davis < pdavis at motorola.com >
Subject: Computational Ling: Researcher, Motorola, Schaumburg, USA

Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 17:23:03
From: Paul Davis < pdavis at motorola.com >

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!

University or Organization: Motorola
Department: Center for Human Interaction Research
Job Rank: Researcher
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
Research Position in the Motorola Center for Human Interaction Research in
Schaumburg, Illinois

Department Description

The Semantic Interaction Technology (SIT) team is situated in the Center
for Human Interaction Research within Motorola Labs on the Schaumburg
Campus. The mission of the SIT team is to develop state of the art user
interface software solutions that leverage semantic representations in
software to achieve this goal. The team is researching end-to-end solutions
to advance the capabilities of the user interface in Motorola devices. This
work includes researching new and novel approaches to the user interface,
development of embedded user interface software, and development of offline
development tools.

Scope of Responsibilities/Expectations

We are seeking a researcher who enjoys implementation of new concepts in
software while working in a team environment. Responsibilities include
realization of proof of concept prototypes, developing novel solutions to
problems relevant to Motorola businesses, communications with team members
and internal customers, and participation in relevant research communities.
We are looking for researchers that have a passion for their work and are
willing to carry out research from idea phase to near product implementation.

Specific Knowledge/Skills

Must have the following qualifications:

1) Currently pursuing a Ph.D., or recently earned a Ph.D., in one of the
following degrees:

• Computer Science
• Electrical Engineering
• Computer Engineering
• Computational Linguistics

2) 3.2 or above cumulative GPA, official transcript required

3) Graduation date Dec 2004 or May 2005

4) Grad date and GPA must be on resume

5) Object oriented programming in C++ is required, Java is a plus

Experience in one or more of the following areas is required:

1) Multimodal user interface technologies

2) Declarative representation of semantics and user interface behavior

3) Interaction management for user interfaces

4) Spoken language user interfaces

5) Affective user interfaces

6) User interface software for embedded devices

7) User interface development process, toolkits, and frameworks (such as
Eclipse)

How to Apply

Please email your resume and cover letter to AHB001 at IL02.mot.com .  Please
include the following in the subject line of your email:

"Human Interface Research Engineer (26319) - Ph.D. / grad date - your
name"

Motorola is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.  We welcome
and encourage diversity in our work force.

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Contact Information / Address for Applications - email only please:
Harry Bliss
AHB001 at IL02.mot.com