16.1527, Jobs: Computational Ling: Comp Linguist, Eliza Corp.

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 12 23:34:49 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1527. Thu May 12 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1527, Jobs: Computational Ling: Comp Linguist, Eliza Corp.

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Vanessa Manion <vanessa at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-May-2005
From: Lisa Lavoie < llavoie at elizacorp.com >
Subject: English & Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Eliza Corporation, MA, USA

Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:31:51
From: Lisa Lavoie < llavoie at elizacorp.com >

This announcement was accompanied by a donation to the LINGUIST List!

University or Organization: Eliza Corporation
Department: Grammar
Job Rank: Computational Linguist
Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics
Required Language: English (ENG)

Eliza Corporation (http://www.elizacorp.com) is a rapidly growing firm that
integrates computer-telephony with state of the art speech recognition to
address very important healthcare problems.  We have an entrepreneurial
culture that promotes creativity, personal initiative, team collaboration,
and fun.  We have A-List customers, a strong financial track record,
exciting work, and rapid growth. If you are highly motivated and ambitious,
ready to make a direct impact on our business and looking for a challenging
and rewarding environment - Eliza is the company for you.

Computational Linguist
You will be responsible for the design and implementation of functionally
complete libraries of linguistic resources (including grammars and
lexicons). You will develop grammars and dictionaries for use with our
state-of-the art speech recognition engine. Candidates must have excellent
communication skills.  You must be able to program in commonly used
scripting languages for research and statistical analysis.

This position is part of the ongoing expansion at Eliza. You will maintain
the Eliza recognition engines via the analysis of production data.  Eliza
provides a dynamic, fast-paced, and results-oriented environment.

Responsibilities:
•- Assisting application developers to select appropriate grammars and lexicons.
- •Verifying grammars and lexicons as applications move into production.
•- Tracking and analyzing linguistic data from application deployments.
•- Developing word models and dictionaries.
•- Testing new tools for word model development, tuning, and simulation.
•- Versioning control/compatibility across multiple releases. Interfacing with
Application Development, Marketing and customers.
-• Opportunity for language-specific R&D work
- Documentation and reporting of progress to the CTO and the head of production
team.

Required Skills:
2 years work experience
Coursework in linguistics
Fluent in C# or C++
Scripting languages (JavaScript, PERL, other)
Excellent trouble-shooting skills
Ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of a larger team
Excellent organization, communication, and interpersonal skills

 Education:
- BS in computational linguistics or equivalent.

Address for Applications:

	Dr. Lisa Lavoie
	100 Cummings Center
	Suite 343G