16.1563, Sum: Case-Assignment in Slavic

LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon May 16 14:24:28 UTC 2005

LINGUIST List: Vol-16-1563. Mon May 16 2005. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 16.1563, Sum: Case-Assignment in Slavic

Reviews (reviews at linguistlist.org)
        Sheila Dooley, U of Arizona
        Terry Langendoen, U of Arizona

Editor for this issue: Jessica Boynton <jessica at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-May-2005
From: Olga Kagan < olgamail at mscc.huji.ac.il >
Subject: Case-Assignment in Slavic

Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 10:21:14
From: Olga Kagan < olgamail at mscc.huji.ac.il >

Regarding query: http://www.linguistlist.org/issues/16/16-921.html#1

Some time ago I posted a question on Case-assignment by verbs meaning to
want, to ask for, to demand, to deserve, to seek and to avoid in different
Slavic languages. The facts appear to be the following:

In Polish and Lithuanian (a Baltic language) these verbs obligatorily
assign genitive Case.

In Russian, Ukrainian and Slovenian the verbs can take either genitive or
accusative objects.

Finally, in Serbo-Croatian they normally assign accusative Case.

I would like to thank James Lavine, Donka Torov, Barbara Partee, Galina
Gordishevsky, Boban Arsenijevic, Lanko Marusic, Steve Hewitt, Tanja
Samardzic and Mirjana N. Dedaic for their help.

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax